Tuesday, August 23, 2022

NEWS: Rainbow High/Shadow High Rainbow Vision Costume Ball


Okay, I've got more time available, so let's talk about these ladies in more detail. 

First up, my favorite: Eliza McFee. 

The doll herself is sheer perfection. She's so stunning. No matter what her theme was, she'd be stunning. Love the makeup. Love the hair. The mold is perfect for this look. 

The earrings are my favorite part of the outfit. 

The dress is lovely. The writing on the bottom is a bit odd, but I'm glad it's in French because English would really have ruined the look. 

The shoes are the main thing I'm not a fan of. They're pretty but a bit simple. I wish they'd gone outside the box and designed something that looked like she was barefoot. Something like Jewel's one pair but with fancy wing-shaped heels. 



The wings are on straps, which I understand because she's not a real fairy. I wish they were something that coordinated into her dress more. I also wish they weren't so plain. Considering her blurb goes on about how she's such a special effects pro that her wings look real, they look pretty cheap. 





She has some of the most beautiful art of the line. 

I'm nitpicking her above, but those are minor things. I'm pretty sure she's going to end up one of my big favorites from the entire line. 


Demilissabat! 

Yeah, I'm not gonna stop calling her that. 

I love the hair, Elissabat connection aside. Great colors and I'm always into goth bangs. Her skintone might be more light purple than pink, which will help her look a little less like Elissa. 

Her makeup is stellar. Getting to zoom in on it really helps. It's so out there. Love it. 

The earrings are my one nitpick about the entire design. Why not BATS? Seriously, stop overusing the stupid safety pins, MGAE. They do not signify edge. 

Her entire outfit is great. The poofy shirt, the gorgeous dress, those glorious boots. The cape is the standout piece though. It's beautiful. 

The most subtle standout though is her hands. Her nails and those rings are AMAZING. 



The blurb is where she falls apart a bit. If her look celebrates black and white movies, why isn't she grayscale? It would have been a natural choice for a line that started as grayscale. I prefer her in these lovely colors, but including that line is odd. 



The weakest of the SH trio, but Lola Wilde here keeps growing on me. Her entire face is sheer perfection. I love how the makeup accents her eyes and I love how the brown eyes work so well with her entire color scheme.

The outfit is definitely basic and saying the boots treads are supposed to be claws is a humongous stretch, but the doll herself transcends her boring clothes. 




Still love the nail artist aspect. Very clever.





From Shadow High over to Rainbow High, we've got a single standout. 

I thought Robin as a spider was a little ridiculous. Like I could see this idea starting as a joke based on what happened in the show. But they took that and not only ran with it but won the damn marathon. 

She is SPECTACULAR. 






I can't see her shoes, but I have no nitpicks for this doll based on what I can see.




The art gives a better idea of the makeup. 



Then we've got Bella the witch. This is surprisingly lovely. My initial reaction to Bella getting a doll in this line was "Ugh, she gets a third doll? Fourth if you count Junior High?" 

But no. Bella shut me up. Her outfit is excellent and I love the spider details that will match Robin. 

Her makeup is gorgeous. Love it. 

And she's totally giving me Jem vibes. Rainbow High Jem as a witch. That's this doll. She even has lacy ankle socks under heels. Come on. 




I'm glad I pre-ordered one. 




And then there's Violet. Dear dolly gods, what were they thinking? 

This is so bad. They've done worse with that Dia de los Muertos horrible mess, but this doll is an equally poor design minus the cultural insensitivity. Just as a doll design, it's so awful, you guys. I can't believe they did something this bad. 


I can't even rip it apart in detail. It's just that bad. If they'd gone with a proper Michelle Pfeiffer catsuit, it still would have been weird, but not nearly as bad. 

Thankfully, Violet's existence can be forgotten, along with Dia de los Muertos. I'm purposely not recognizing those dolls as existing any further than what I've said here. 

So! Who will you be adding to your collection? I'm glad I was able to pre-order my five (no Violet) and I can't wait to see this part of the storyline. 

3 comments:

  1. I’m so excited to get my hands on Bella and Eliza! I like all of them really, (except Violet because what is thatttt ew) but everything I’ve seen puts them at 30-ish dollars and for 5 girls that’s a little too much for me hahaha. I love how delicate Eliza’s dress is. Of course I’m sure those flowers will be falling right off, but I got lucky and my Delilah kept all of hers so maybe I’ll be lucky with Eliza too. Not a big fan of the text but I’ll live. I mostly just wish it wasn’t black, it interrupts the way that the dress seems to fade into nothing. I’ll probably also display her barefoot, or go crazy and repaint Delilah’s heels or something. As for another Bella doll, I don’t mind too much, she’s my favorite color and I skipped pacific coast and junior high. I definitely understand other people not being thrilled though. I also would be getting the witch doll no matter what so I’m sure there’s plenty of bias.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eliza is SO pretty. I love her, her face, hair, everything. Except the text on her dress, it ruins it. It is marginally better in french, but I really loathe all the random text and branding shoe-horned all over these dolls. Hate it.

    Demilissabat - I love that. As soon as I read her description, without even seeing pictures I thought she was based off the MH doll. She would be perfect for me, but her white lashes freak me out. I want to love her so bad, but them lashes.

    Lola has an awesome face, so cute. The outfit is really meh.

    Robin is freaking gorgeous. I adore darker skinned dolls paired with pastel colors, especially blue. However, I'm a severe arachnophobic. Can't even deal with webs.

    I would love Bella but she has spiders on her! Love the Jem reference, btw...but spiders!

    Violet. Ugh. Just looking at her design makes me feel tired, like it's draining my will to live. So awful, just "phoned in". I mean...why bother?

    Is Bella like the flagship character for the line? Kinda like Noah was/is for Hairdorables?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, not many people seem to like the text on Eliza, but I'd rather have that than SH plastered all over her. It's different at least is what I'm thinking.

      I love the white lashes. I liked them on Delilah and I like them even more here. They're freaky but in a good way for me.

      I don't think RH has a singular flagship character. If anyone, I would say it was Amaya, because she's gotten the wig and the huge doll and she's way too present in the show. The mainbow (including Bella) and Amaya seem to be the ones that get more focus than the rest. But they seem to be trying to spread it out a little more this year, which is good.

      Delete