Tuesday, August 9, 2022

REVIEW: B*Pack Shay Shadows

 

I was not going to get this set. I had been really excited for a black goth girl. You don't see that often in doll form. Then I saw the product pics from Amazon and was appalled at how totally not goth she was, so I cancelled my order. 

However, now that B*Pack seems to be over and the single-pack line cancelled, I ended up bringing Shay home, because I won't be getting the witchy one from that single series. 



Olivia is helping me by holding Shay's tag back so you can see the little playset the package makes. Naturally, I'm not keeping this, but it's a cute idea. 

I'd honestly totally keep it if I had the space. It would be cute to display my smaller goth dolls in. But no space. 




Many pouches. All more goth than the doll. 



I mean, she's cute. But that dress? What is that? The shoes aren't terrible. They've got spikes. I can dig that. The little spiderweb thing in her hair is cute. Her face is cute. But goth? No. Not even whatever the hell "preppy goth" is that they decided her club would be. 


I love the little pouch. That's the most goth thing here. 

Her stuff is cute. It's just not goth, so I roll my eyes at the fact that she's referred to as that. I'm not gatekeeping either. Slapping bats, moons and spiderwebs on things isn't enough to make them goth when there are too many other conflicting elements. 



Like seriously, this blue dress is adorable, but it's not goth! Not even a little!

She does look much better after ditching the blonde and darkening her eyeshadow, but the simplest thing in the world would have helped her a lot, yet it's something so many companies are afraid of. 

The purple hair should have been black. The color change part would have been fine, even if it was blonde, as long as the rest was black. Blonde with black, pink with black, both could fit goth. 

Both dresses still need to be scrapped, but black hair really could have helped her look more fitting. Just badly dressed. I'm not sure why so many companies these days slap purple hair on dolls to represent black. What's wrong with black hair? It's one of the most natural hair colors there is. So weird. 

Anyway, I'm glad I got her, even if she isn't at her spookiest. It's still nice to see a black character get the goth role. More doll companies need to get on that. 

If anyone hears anything about Series 2 of the single packs coming out, please let me know! I really want at least two of those characters.

PHOTO CREDIT: Mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment