Wednesday, July 26, 2017

REVIEW: DC Superhero Girls Blackfire

I was shocked this morning when a fellow local collector told me Target had the Intergalactic Sisters 2-pack. I zipped right over after work and grabbed one of the two left. The set costs $29.99.

As you can see by the title, I'm not even pretending this review is about Starfire. This is the same Starfire you can buy separately. This one is a little different than my sig. The purple shoulder piece and boots are darker and I think the Starbolt is darker green. Her makeup is more like my Intergalactic Games Starfire and her face is oddly shiny, yet she's appealing somehow.


I really think putting signature Starfire out again was a mistake. Not one that's going to be the end of the line, but they should have put Intergalactic Gala Starfire in here with Blackfire and then given the third spot in the solo IG line to Bumblebee.

Still, Blackfire is awesome and she's one of the few new characters we'll get this year, so she's worth it.



Blackfire has purple and black hair and purple eyes. Her costume is similar to Starfire, but since her power signature is pink, she's pink where Starfire is green. I love the dress part! It's gorgeous.

A lot of people are whining that she doesn't have bangs, but I think she looks fine without them. (Harley is the one I wish they'd give her proper bangs.)

A lot of people are also whining about her body, so let's take a look at that.


Blackfire has molded upper arms and all of her legs until her ankles. I actually love this effect, because it looks like the armor she's supposed to be wearing. I legit saw someone say they wish this was fabric and it's like don't you want it to look right? She's not wearing striped sleeves, after all!

I think this is where the action doll concept comes in and people aren't getting it. They want the dolls to be like action figures and skip the fashiony releases, but then they reject molded clothing like this, which fits the action doll style more. I like that they're both giving us outfits and doing stuff that's more like action figures.



Blackfire's boots are neat. I had more trouble standing her at first, because the feet are a bit smaller than the typical DCSG footwear, but then when I stuck her on my display shelf, she just fell into place perfectly. So you've just gotta hit that proper balance.










The sisters each come with a Starbolt in their signature color. These were on their hands in the package, but they were way easier to slide off than my signature Starfire's. Blackfire's fingers did get a little crunched though.

I think this set is worth the price, despite the duplicate doll, if you like DCSG and want to expand your cast. Blackfire is a nice addition because she's such an outsider, not even a student at Superhero High. I'm a teeny bit miffed we get a doll this random when so many students still don't have them yet, but I'm still happy to have a new character on my shelf.

PHOTO CREDITS: Mine.

4 comments:

  1. Does your Blackfire have issues holding up her Starbolt??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not that I noticed when I had it on her. I don't keep them on though, since I think they're rather ugly.

      Delete
  2. had a question regarding the student card, mostly does this set come with a student card for starfire or is it just the back of the box?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't believe there were cards or I would have taken a photo. I don't see them in the boxed pic either, so yeah, I'm thinking no cards.

      Delete