Monday, July 17, 2017

REVIEW: Monster High Family Little Sisters

Thanks to a tip from a friend, I got the three Monster High Family little sisters today. They're $7.94 each at Walmart. I cancelled my Amazon pre-order, which hadn't even begun to be filled yet, but I'll still have an extra Pawla. Easy enough to take her back to the store though!

I'm glad I did pick them out in person and I highly recommend you do the same if you're face fussy, because man, the quality control on these is TERRIBLE.


 
Fangelica mostly had mouth issues. Her lips wouldn't be fully painted in the split between or she'd have messed up teeth. I only saw one or two with eye problems.

She's my favorite of the trio, which is a bit unusual, because I don't usually go for the pink and purple. I love the shade of purple used for her hair though and the split ponytail is cute.


I adore the bat ears and especially her feet. She has the cutest little feet! Her wings are a nice touch, too. It's interesting that the younger, less evolved forms of the monsters actually look more evolved to me with details that make them even more monstrous.

The pink plastic ruff comes off. I'm not sure if I like it better on or off. I don't really like it, but with it on, the ugly plain top to her dress is covered at least. I don't know why they did this aqua color. Just make it black.








Fangelica's accessories are the most boring. Each family has a theme and hers is cooking, but these could easily have come with the kitchen. There's nothing special here. At least the doll is so cute that she makes up for it!








Pawla is the one I picked out second. They had about eight or nine Fangelicas and I chose her first, then went to Pawla, because she had maybe seven to pick from? She definitely had the least and Ebbie had a ridiculously large number. 

Not one Pawla had a properly centered nose. Her darker brown paint there was a bit off on each doll. Her teeth of course were another large problem. I eliminated a lot of them for bad teeth and at least one for bad lips. She had the least eye problems, mostly just little streaks of black run through the whites of her eyes. Nothing major. 





Pawla is super adorable! I love how the young Wolfs have these huge paws like puppies. Pawla also has something I never understood why they left off Clawdeen's design. She's got a TAIL. 

I love Pawla's curly little pigtails. The pale green color is a nice shade for her. 


See, isn't her tail cute? Love it! It's poseable, too. 

Pawla's dress disappoints me. I mean, yeah, I'm used to this print only on the front thing, but this is a tiny amount of fabric. Come on. Put the dang print all around.


Pawla's right arm is posed so she can hold her toy. I love that so much. I'd love it even more if she could hold it a little lower though. It's got to be angled just right or it blocks her face.

Pawla has a little gold bow necklace, which I also think is cute, but when she holds the toy, she blocks it. Sigh.










Her accessories are far and away the cutest. The toy is my favorite, but the pillow is cute, the storybook is really cute and the sleepmask is the cutest. Cute cute cute. 






Poor Ebbie is my least fave and she's obviously Mattel's least fave, too, because she had three times the number of toys in the display as the other two, yet almost every one was flawed. It's mostly her eyes. They're all over the place on her dolls. Some are wider, some are closer together, some have wonk, some are rounder, some are narrower, some look straight ahead, some are walleyed. 

And then if you do find one with good eyes, good luck finding good lips. I found great eyes that I loved, but she had a lip rub. Sigh. 


So my Ebbie has a little walleye, because she had the best eye placement combined with the best lips. 

Ebbie's really detailed. Her tail is great. She can actually stand on it without help. All of them can stand without help. 

I love her big ears, too. 











She also has a neat scaled detail on both sides of her head. The other side of mine isn't painted very well, but I was concentrating on faces, not this. It's also blocked by her sunglasses, so it's not easy to see in the box. 

Ebbie's hair is really pretty colors! It's the silkiest of the three little sisters. 


Ebbie's accessories are pretty cute. I like the sunglasses and the floaty. The ball is kinda weird though. It looks more like a hamster ball than a pool or beach toy. 

So those are the three MH little sisters. I think they're well-made for their less than $8 price. I also think the line is a cute new direction for MH that fits with the current reboot. It's not ruining the line or any such nonsense. The earlier line ended and this is what we have now. It's new. If people don't like it, they can buy older dolls and shush. Heh. 

PHOTO CREDITS: Mine.

2 comments:

  1. I think it makes sense that the little siblings are more monstery than the older ones- they can't control their form as well, and so they're almost stuck mid-transformation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure that's how they spin it, but I'm still not used to Clawdeen actually turning into a wolf. Can Lagoona turn into a mermaid now? I've been with MH since the beginning and this is all new.

      But I also appreciate designs that are more monstery and I think it sucks that they basically invented an excuse to keep the older ones more plain. Draculaura would be so much more interesting with Fangelica's ears.

      Delete