Wednesday, October 26, 2022

REVIEW: VIP Pets Glam Gems


I still have three of the original VIP Pets, but never got much into the new series. I picked up a few of the minis and one of the non-blind-packed ones from Dollar General, but I saw the Glam Gems series on Amazon the other day and really liked the lineup. They're all pretty awesome. I ordered one to see if I liked them and yeah, I do. (I may have ordered more already to try to get the ones I really want.)

So if you go to Target, you've probably seen the VIP Pets in their big bottles. I can't remember if I've ever seen them at Walmart, but definitely at Target. They cost almost $15, but are they worth that? Let's find out. 


The Glam Gems series has a transparent window in the bottle. You're supposed to put your hand over it and then after, you can see into the bottle. I tried this and nothing happened, so I tried again more aggressively and got a bit of the pink to fade into a normal more whiteish plastic color. It's still really hard to see inside, but I think this feature combined with one other may be enough to identify which dog is inside, especially if you have the checklist on hand. 




The directions are taped to the side of the unwrapped bottle. There are pieces of tape along the side and one on the bottom that need to be removed before the bottle will open. 




Being that this is my first experience with this line, I have no idea how rare the rare character actually is, but that is the one I got. 




So inside the bottle are the dog on her stand, which has a suction cup under it, plus a pouch, a pamphlet, and a pair of sunglasses. 



I absolutely love this suction cup idea. These dogs are so incredibly top heavy thanks to their hair that keeping them on a stand (via a peg inserted into a hole in the bottom of the dog) and then having that stand stabilized by a suction cup is sheer brilliance. 




The hair on these is fabulous. Aurora reminds me of DeeDee from Hairdorables. She's got two shades of pink plus a darker green and then a few streaks of blonde. 




These are amusing. 



The pouch contains a strip of rhinestone stickers, a gem-shaped brush, a tiara, a hairclip, two barrettes, and 6 clear rubberbands. 




The front of the bottle comes off and can be used as a back for the stand. 




However, it barely shows behind her head and it makes her less stable on the stand, so I took it off again. 




There's a small plastic gem taped to the inside of the bottle. Take off the tape and pull and it comes down attached to a cord. 



In her pamphlet, this is shown hanging down from the side of her head, but I prefer it looped. 




Then inside the clear glittery top of the bottle, which is attached by plastic that you have to remove, there's her gemstone. 

This is what I think can be used to ID the characters, combined with peeking inside at the face. If you look at the checklist, you can see that the gems are different colors and shapes. That plus looking at the dogs' individual faces should be enough to ID them. I'll experiment with this when I get my order in. 




Aurora's diamond snaps into her tiara. 




Each of the dogs may have a unique pamphlet. 



You can see hairstyle instructions, a picture showing all her accessories, and an art version of the character. 



Here's a closer look at the checklist. This isn't a birthstone series so much as just gems. 


I really like how I can display them at the ends of my bookshelves and their hair can hang down but won't obscure much of the dolls on the shelves below. And they're stable thanks to the suction cups. The hair is nice and they do come with a lot, so I see the $15 value here when you compare them to other blind-packed toys. As long as I can ID them and not have to risk opening doubles, I'm in. I've at least got to find my favorites!

PHOTO CREDIT: Mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment