Friday, October 14, 2022

Hindsight is 20/20? Not if you're an MH hater.



"Why did they add pink to every doll? We missed out on so much with the ridiculously dark prototype!"


Frankie always wore pink. 





And yellow. 


And bright blue. 


Those are not new colors for the character. 




"The line is so little kiddish now because it's too bright!" 





Yeah, the original was super dark...




So dark. 





Totally dark. 


(Okay, I've always hated this outfit, but it's still a good example.)




Look at all that darkness. 




Like...are these people for real? 




I just saw Twyla called a brightened up version of this signature as if that somehow ruined her. 



This isn't much darker and the skirt on the new one is black.



 


Monster High ALWAYS had bright colors in its lineups. 


Every gorgeous Skelita doll is bright, bright, bright. 





Loads of color. 

These colorful photos are a tiny fraction of the original MH line. There are plenty more where they come from. 


I don't understand what line these whiners are remembering because it sure was not Monster High.


I've seen a myriad of complaints since the dull, dark Frankie prototype image appeared and it's been followed up now with Creepover Twyla. Stop acting like the original line was all in black and white. Their use of color has not changed with the new line. 


Monster High has always embraced color. Deal with it.

10 comments:

  1. Lol I do love that Draculaura outfit, idk I believe that you called it "clownish" when you got that doll. Yeah, I've been a MH fan since the start and I do remember your pics from Flickr, like the chateau getaway for the School's Out dolls? anyway I like that outfit from Draculaura way better than her signature one, idk the original was so boring to me. This, while clownish, felt so well designed to me, it never felt randomly put together, like that new G3 line with multiple outfits and the closet or whatever, I like that, but the fashion is random, to me this outfit if very balanced. Anyway. I agree about MH always being colorful. I wonder why Clawdeen never had auburn hair again or wore her peach color from her OG top and thights. She suddenly was all purple and green

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I absolutely called it clownish. I think it's one of the worst outfits they ever made. I prefer the signature because it's classy and actually something a person could wear in the real world. If anyone wore the School's Out monstrosity, they would look utterly ridiculous, except mayyyyybe in Japan. There are simply too many different patterns going on and working with such bright colors, it's too much. I'll forever hate it, though that will also forever be my favorite Draculaura doll. She looks so perfect in her club outfit.

      The "chateau" was my great aunt and uncle's place in the Catskills in New York, but I'm sure they'd smile at it being called that!

      Delete
  2. Hah! You're the best person to do this but HARD AGREE.
    G1 Worship is one thing, preference is subjective, but the revisionism is pissing me off. It's like with this people the first line was all there was to the Franchise and everything past it, they forgot. And then call people who like G3 or even just want to give it a chance 'Not real fans/fake fans' and b.s. like that.
    Like, new Twyla is basically the same like old with a new hat. (Not that I'm complaining, that's one of those 'Can't mess with perfection' type of deals.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I don't get this "if you support G3, you're a brainless follower" mentality. Uh, no. We are just capable of liking different things. We also apparently have way better memories than the haters.

      Delete
    2. Basically. And the longer I think about it, the inverse rings kinda false too? Like, both Frankie and Clawdeen still have a decent amount of black. Heck, both Deuce and Draculaura have a way darker color scheme by either taking away or diminishing the white parts of their G1 designs. The only dolls not really having black are Cleo (Whose first G1 doll doesn't really have it either. That's mostly her hair, just like her G3 doll.) and Lagoona, and even she has black accents.
      'Where'd the black go?' It's still.... right there folks.

      Delete
    3. Yup, it's definitely still there!

      Delete
  3. ...people are dumb. I will never get those five minutes of my life back that I wasted skimming through the outrage and the absolute assholery (that's a word, right?) towards people who don't think everything about g3 is terrible. DotD Frankie is frickin' perfection and I too would like to know this grimdark reality where MH was lacking in bright colors because I would like to know how the Shadow High people found their way to this reality and if perhaps that's why things here are so messed up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Assholery is definitely a great word for this. They blow my mind.

      Delete
  4. The Elissabat and Jane dolls - which line was that? (I honestly don't recognize those dolls)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ghouls Getaway from 2015:
      https://mh-merch.com/dolls/series/ghouls-getaway/

      Delete