Thursday, June 29, 2023

REVIEW: Rainbow High Not-So-Value Emi Vanda

When I saw someone on IG with some of the RH not-so-budget dolls, I knew I has to make a run to our lone Family Dollar to check. I've been meaning to get out there because I want the similar version of Chillax from OMG. 


I was fully expecting to walk out with nothing. It's a teeny little Family Dollar. It's farther out, so I don't get there often. 


I struck out with Chillax, because they still had like 8 of the original beach-themed cheapie OMGs, but I was shocked to not only see two RH skinny boxes on the shelf but that one was my most wanted EMI! The other was Daria, who I don't want. I'd love Sheryl and maybe Daphne, so I'm hoping the big store in FL where I go on vacation in December will have them. 


You know how these ring up? As "value" dolls. 

She was $19! That's not value or budget or anything of the like. 

However, I fell for this Emi design and let's face it, Emi fans, we will probably never see her again, so this was my one chance to get a new Emi doll. I keep hoping they're going to get Junior High to Series 3, but I'm not holding out real hope. 

Anyway, Emi is very sturdy. She stands easily on her own, despite being on pretty thin little heels. 




These still have inset eyes with lashes. She also has earring holes. 

Her nails are unpainted. 



Her hair is much shorter and there are no pinky streaks. It's soft and silky with only a little bit of gel that I had to wash out. This hair is post-conditioning, so it's not going to look this nice right out of the box, but it wasn't far off. 



One of the main draws of this doll is this stunning pair of heels. These are Daria's heels only in a lovely deep purple. Way better than either of non-value Emi's pairs. 





Here they are together so you can see some of the differences. 


Non-value Emi has darker brows and heavier eyemakeup. 



Value Emi has superior lips. I like the plain dark plum color. 

Her eyeshadow is purple leading to dark pink at the outer corners just like non-value Emi, but without the shimmer they put over non-value Emi's makeup, value Emi actually has darker eyeshadow. 





So are these "value" dolls worth $19? Absolutely not! But was it worth $19 for me to have a second version of Emi? Yes, it was. 


PHOTO CREDIT: Mine.

4 comments:

  1. ... Those are some of the prettiest eyes I've ever seen on a doll. Those colors....
    That said, yeah. That is not a $19 dollar doll. She's pretty. But not $19 pretty. Especially since they seem to have gone the 'No articulation 4 u' route with it, which I'm never a fan of.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're a "budget" line so articulation is never on those. The issue with MGAE's budget dolls is that they're never actually very budgety. Not like Barbies or the old $5 painted swimsuit MHs. Their budget LOLs are at least $15 and don't even have shoes. I'm totally fine with no articulation, as it's never something I'm in need of if I really love a design, but the price has to match the "budget" purpose of these lines and MGAE's just never does.

      Delete
    2. That's fair. But yeah, that's one of the company's main issues.

      Delete
  2. From what I have seen their price by MGA is 15$, stores change it though. In international markets these budget dolls are half the price of regular ones.

    ReplyDelete