Wednesday, June 26, 2019

REVIEW: DC Superhero Girls Reboot Batgirl and Katana

Yay, more new arrivals from the DCSG reboot line!

These two were a bit unexpected, because while Bumblebee, Wonder Woman and Supergirl were trickling through shipping and arrival, these two characters both sat without an estimated release date for ages. Zatanna and Green Lantern always said July-August, but these two? Not even a guess.

So I was pleasantly surprised when they turned into July 3rd, then crept closer and closer each day. They arrived today and I'm very happy. Katana was actually the one whose release I was questioning a bit, since she wasn't part of the original line-up. Is she even on the show now? I don't know, because I still haven't caught up. I'm waiting to get all the dolls in hand first. I have a feeling I'm going to really like Zatanna and I don't want to watch the show, love her and then have no doll on hand.






So here are the backs of the boxes.





And we'll start with Batgirl. She's cute. I actually thought she was one of the cutest from the promos and she is. It still annoys me that her shoulder piece is that light purple and the mask isn't. They go together. They should both be the same color and in the cartoon, they're that lighter purple. And her cape? Also not black. It should be yellow. I'm not sure why they chose to force the two black elements in when purple and yellow would have been fine enough. It's weird.




Definitely a cute face! Her hair is just okay. It's perma-crinkled from wearing the mask, but I plan to leave that on, so I'm not going to bother working with her hair.

Mine has a misprinted bat on her suit. Ha. Kind of an important element, but no, let's misprint it.





Her cape is attached to the suit itself. Why did Kara get a plastic cape while Babs gets a proper fabric one? They could have sewn the red cape to Kara's outfit, too. Sigh.




Moving on to Katana.

This is the best design of the line for me, I think. I'll know for sure when I get the final two in hand.

But I love it. She's sleek. I always love black, red, white and silver. The outfit is pretty, the boots are cool.

I love how they did the mask, except I can't take it off. I don't think it will go back on right.





There's the mask from the side. I just don't think it's going to stay on if you cut those plastic tabs.

The bamboo (?) piece is separate from her wristband, which is nice, because I don't like it. It ruins the flow and color scheme of the design for me, so it's nice to be able to remove it and still have the pair of wristbands underneath.








See? Sleek.




And there's her pretty face. I still think Diana is the prettiest, but Katana's up there. I'd get a second one to display without her mask if I could.

Mine also has a new problem for Mattel dolls. Used to be eyes we needed to worry about, but now it's lips. Her lips are slightly off their mark and I've seen the same problem on people's Wild Hearts Crew dolls. So watch out for the lips, guys. Thankfully, it doesn't make her any less awesome to me.


So now we've got more bodies! Each girl does have a different headmold, which should be pretty obvious, but some share body parts. Let's break it down.

Torsos come in three types so far: muscular, petite and wide-hipped. Wonder Woman and Supergirl rightly have the muscular type, while Batgirl and Katana are petite. Bumblebee is the one with wide hips.

Arms are either muscular or petite. Wondy and Supergirl are muscular, the other three are petite.

And legs have four different variations! Bumblebee and Supergirl share the muscular, short legs, while Wondy has the muscular tall legs. Batgirl and Katana are both more thin-legged, but Batgirl's are shorter than Katana's.

So these girls may lack articulation, may not have the best hair or their outfits fully-printed, but hey, they've got cute designs and definitely are diverse. Hurry up, Zatanna and Green Lantern!

PHOTO CREDITS: Mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment