Tuesday, January 24, 2017

REVIEW: DC Superhero Girls Plush


Man, it's hard to review plush dolls. Like what do I say about them? They're little and cute. Heh.

We first saw Wondy at SDCC and then the line-up was spotted on Entertainment Earth in the form of rather weird line drawings. They're also quite overpriced there at $19.99 each.

Anyway, we're getting plush of Wonder Woman, Supergirl, Batgirl, Harley Quinn, Katana and Bumblebee.

I was pleasantly surprised a few days ago to learn that the first three (take a guess which three) were already in stock on Toywiz.com.


I bought the trio for $12.99 apiece minus a 5% off coupon and plus shipping. Not too bad though. I'm guessing they'll be about $9.99 in stores, but I can't say for sure.

The plush are about nine inches tall and made from a variety of materials. While they don't have a cheap feel to them, they're not on the quality level of, say, a Disney Store soft doll.


This is the thing that irritates me about Mattel's plush efforts. They're a big name company with a lot of money at their disposal, yet the one thing they never get right is plush dolls. And they're not that hard! The Monster High ones were the weird flat ragdolls originally and then the cuter, but still kinda odd-looking more recent line. Ever After High never got plush. Now DCSG gets them, but for some reason, they left the noses off everyone. Why? It just doesn't seem to really fit with DCSG's look.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I think they're super cute, but look at the soft dolls the Disney Store makes. How hard is it to make a nice plush doll in a nice dress? I would have dropped a lot of money to buy Monster High, Ever After High and DCSG characters made with that level of quality and design.

They're sort of standing up for a size comparison.
I dunno. I just have a hard time as a plushie collector seeing the fairly weak efforts this big company puts forth instead of the quality plush we all know they could give us.

But these are still cute and I'll buy them all.

I would like to know what their current dislike of Poison Ivy is though. She was left out of the minis and she's left out of the plush line. I saw a photo of upcoming DCSG Mash'ems/Fash'ems and she's left out of that, too. Where is Poison Ivy, Mattel? At least she's in the Funko Rock Candy line.

So yeah. Plush are cute. I hope the other three come out soon. But I still think they could be done better.

PHOTO CREDITS: Mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment