Sunday, January 22, 2017

REVIEW: DC Superhero Girls Basic Harley Quinn

The initial basic DC Superhero Girls line consisted of Wonder Woman, Supergirl and Batgirl (the clear Big Three of the line). These dolls are essentially large action figures. They lack the articulation of the signature dolls, but can certainly hold up to some heavy play and adventures.

A Walmart exclusive 4-pack containing the first three dolls plus Bumblebee came out a few weeks ago and from what I've seen, did not sell well.


Recently, a Target.com listing for the same Bumblebee from the 4-pack has appeared. She is not available to purchase yet, but she will be coming.

Then reports came in of people finding a Harley basic! Harley is not one of the big three characters, despite being hugely popular, so this is only her second action doll. We've got so many different Wonder Woman, Batgirl and Supergirl dolls and figures that this Harley is a breath of fresh air.


Harley is dressed, so to speak, in an outfit of contrasting red and black sections that is semi-reminiscent of her original costume. She has a lot of blue additions though, unlike the original. This Harley has blue gloves, blue boots and a short blue cape. She has molded diamonds down the sides of her legs.

Harley's mask is secured in the same way as the signature doll's. Her hair has the same streaks, although the hair on my basic doll is done in much bouncier curls than the signature doll's pigtails.


I don't buy a lot of basic dolls or ones that are similar to dolls I already own, especially ones from a line like this that take up a lot of space. But I wanted to support Harley, being a fan of the original version from the cartoon. She's the character I have the most nostalgic attachment to, although Wonder Woman is a close second. I also like anytime they put her in outfits that bear even a slight resemblance to her original costume.

So do I recommend the basic Harley? Not necessarily. I think if you need a Harley doll, you should buy the signature, especially if you want to keep your collection small. But if you are a more hardcore collector of the line, you might want to pick her up to show Mattel that characters other than the Big Three do sell. Then maybe we'll get these basic dolls for other characters, as well as more dolls of other characters in general. She's also a nice addition for any Harley fan.

PHOTO CREDITS: Mine.

4 comments:

  1. Hi,

    I just got this Action Training (Basic) Harley at Wal*Mart, and I noticed that there are two different versions of her. The first has a wider smile, while the second has a more sweet smile; I chose one with a sweeter-looking smile.

    This girl's hair is certainly bouncy, but, in the case of my doll, it almost feels like it may be the dreaded nylon! :( Did you notice that with your doll's hair?

    Granted, I only bought this doll so that, if I order several RD dolls, and their faces look like crud, I can do a head swap, but....the almost nylon feel of the hair is discouraging to me, as I think that a doll's hair should surely feel decent, even if one only pays about $8.00 for a budget doll.

    Bye,
    Peppermint Snowdrift

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I don't dread nylon, because I've got some great dolls with nylon hair, so I'm not picky about it. I'm not sure what exactly mine's hair is, but it doesn't feel cheap or dry.

      Delete
  2. Hi,

    Thanks. The ends of my doll's hair don't feel really dry, or anything, but the hair is rather stiff.

    I have some of the Electrified dolls, and their nylon hair isn't actually too bad. I've just heard bad things about nylon.

    Bye,
    Peppermint Snowdrift

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nylon is very doll-to-doll. I've got some with long, thick, straight nylon that's amazing. And I've had one of the 10th Anniversary Bratz with nylon hair that had the worst hair ever. The Target exclusive Descendants Mal is the worst one I've had recently. Mostly though, it's really not that bad.

      Delete