Wednesday, August 5, 2020

HAIRDORABLES Series 5 Part 2

Oh, my dolly gods, you guys! 
So when I got the case of masquerades, I wondered if it could be possible the set was split into two cases with Emily randomly replacing one every now and then. Well...yeah, I think so. 

My mom went back to Walmart and brought me the 6 dolls they'd just put out...and I finished the regular masquerade set in a single day with zero doubles, because yes, the set seems split into two cases. And according to some of my Facebook group members, the same ones are always together. This line is not going to be impossible to complete!



Steampunk Sallee was the first one I opened. 

She is AMAZING. 

I love her enormous curly hair and the dress and shoes are adorable. 







 







She manages to hold her mask in front of her face pretty well, too. 

Not my favorite Sallee ever, but she's a solid addition to the masquerade set. 






Next up was Duchess Bella. 







Bella began working her magic on me in Series 2 and has not stopped. Her dolls are lovely. 

This outfit? Also lovely. 




These shoes? 

It's a shame they hide under the dress. Gorgeous!





With her mask. 







And again. 

My only complaint is that the top part of her hair is a little messy. Definitely a minor nitpick though. 





Saige! 







She's called Roses & Saige. 

Does anyone know when or where she's supposed to be from?








It's so nice to have a Saige that does not smell like beer.








Her mask is stunning, but it's the largest and heaviest of them all!




Then we go back to the 90s with Noah: So 90s Noah.







This is one of Noah's cuter dolls. Definitely one of her best hair looks. 

The outfit is a bit crazy, but it was the 90s. 








She's got the worst mask though. So boring.








But at least she's cute. 


Ah, the second entry in the Inaccurately Wearing Pastels in Ancient Times category: Kali Cleopatra. 

As I said last post, I have a degree in Egyptology, so I can be picky about Egyptian stuff. Inaccuracies don't keep me from buying things, but you can bet I'm gonna say something. 

First off, Cleopatra is so overused in connection with Egypt. I really wish they'd used the name of an actual Egyptian ruler, because you know what? Cleopatra was a Ptolemy. She was Macedonian Greek and her family was so xenophobic that they inbred. Cleo is not Egyptian. 

So in my grand tradition of ignoring stock names, I'm renaming this girl NeferKali. 





Now I love this hair, but I have no idea how they think this connects to Egypt. 

It's more like Aja from Jem. 

Wearing a glam not-at-all historical Egyptian-themed stage outfit. 

Yep. 

The flower sandals are way off, but they're cute. 








Mint green? Not in ancient Egypt. Why not white? ARGH.

That's one of the things that bugs me about these inaccurate colors. Not only do they ignore the history they're making a costume of, but they don't even look good on the dolls. Pastel blue is not Skylar's color and mint green is definitely not Kali's. 






This does look super cool though. I like it a lot. 

She's definitely dressed as Aja in a glam Egyptian stage costume. Yup yup. 




The mask is really cute. It's the only one without much of a handle, but it actually helps put it in front of her face. 

I really wish they'd done the masks as glasses. Really really wish. 

The tiny snake. Hee.




And finally, it's Totally Rad Harmony!

She really is.






LOVE that hair volume. And the outfit. 








She really struggles with her mask. 









LOVE. 


















Normally, I try to keep a theme on one shelf, but all of masquerade deserved to be seen up front. Except Kat. Sorry, Kat. So they're spread across two shelves. 





I'm so happy with these! And I still can't believe my luck!


PHOTO CREDITS: Mine. 

2 comments:

  1. I was a little iffy on some of these when the promo pictures came out, but seeing them in irl photos rlly changed my mind! They all look gorg!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I felt the same way, but most of them are so much better in person!

      Delete