Tuesday, July 30, 2019

REVIEW: Catra!

I'm slowly getting these She-Ra dolls, although sadly, I haven't gotten any others. They seem to have stopped being listed on the website and my store is slower than molasses in Antarctica.

Catra got delayed because she was mishandled in California and then her shipping box was absolutely crushed. I'm glad the doll itself was okay!

As with the others, I've got mixed feelings on this one. There is one enormous flaw and one other that's secondary.




Here's her cartoon image from the back of the box.

Look at that hair.

I'm not even going to mess around. I'm going to dig right into my big issue with this doll.

See the picture?

She has a MANE.

But this is what you get.



It looks like a child cut this hair. It's several different lengths. The top part I get. It actually looks good. But the lighter brown pieces could easily have been locks right behind her ears like they are in the art. There are a couple shorter clumps, but they're a mess.







And it is THIN. This is possibly the thinnest hair I have ever seen on a doll. Especially a $15 Mattel doll. Their $5 MH basics had better hair!





This is a raggedy, sloppy mess.

Catra deserves better.

Fans deserve better.

Mattel can DO BETTER. I don't know what the hell they were thinking.

At least her ears aren't part of her headdress. Thank the dolly gods. I was afraid of that.



Okay, worst hair ever aside, she's a cool doll.

She's the only one where I think they actually nailed her face, because she has a real expression. She looks like Catra.

"Hey, Adora."

The outfit is superb. The belt is nice.




I forgot to stick her tail back on, so there it is.

Now my other problem is that they gave her these lovely clawed feet, but neither of her hands has claws.

Like...we just spent years with MH where one of the main cast had clawed hands and then loads of other characters did, too. I know you can do this, Mattel. So why did they declaw Catra?







From the back. Her tail attaches into a little hole, as you'd expect.

Hm, maybe I'll braid her hair...




And she comes with the staff. Is that really necessary? Could we not have taken the money spent to make that and given her more hair?

She's almost the same shade as Toralei, but I have a feeling a hand exchange won't work. I may give it a shot, but I think the pegs are going to be too small for Catra.




She doesn't look bad here. I did give her a conditioning treatment, but nothing's going to help that hair. I'll play around with it later...but I have no real hope of making it look okay. Poor mangy Catra.

Now that she's here, I'm going to start rewatching the show. The new season starts on Friday!

PHOTO CREDITS: Mine.

5 comments:

  1. ...it's not a good sign when my first thought is "did they give Catra a mullet?" It doesn't look so bad with her headdress on but still. I thought they'd just decided to go and give her "pretty" hair instead of show accurate but nope. It's a shame because beyond that and the weird lack of claws, she's gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She looks like she had a hardcore, hair-pulling fight with Scorpia and Scorpia won.

      Delete
    2. Yay, Scorpia finally got to win!

      This isn't helping me not want two though, weird hair be damned.

      Delete
  2. If you ever want to sell it my 4 year old would love you. Can't find one anywhere and she is a HUGE CATRA FAN cant spend 400 dollars on a kids toy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no plans on selling any of my She-Ra stuff. I wish the line had done better!

      Delete