Sunday, December 1, 2019

REVIEW: Na! Na! Na! Surprise


I have been looking forward to getting my hands on one of these! Thankfully, Amazon put them up and I ordered 2, then they came in stock earlier and were also delivered earlier than I expected, so way to go, Amazon. 

Na! Na! Na! Surprise are the newest toys from MGAE, who does LOL Surprise and the extensive Poopsie line. (And once did something called Bratz way back when...)

I hate the name for these, because why the exclamation points when Surprise doesn't have any punctuation? It's honestly just annoying to type, so I've been calling them Nananas. (Like nah nah nah, not something that rhymes with banana. All of this is beside the point. Just let me ramble.)

Anyway, these suckers cost $19.99, but I think they're well worth it compared to other MGAE products and we'll get to why. 



This is actually not the same photo. 

I'm showing both of these at the beginning, so you can break the code and get the character you want without overspending. 

I love that they did this, because $19.99, while a fair price, is still not cheap. 

Look at the little white circle above that first Na! See the symbol in it? That's going to tell you which doll is in there. 



And it isn't just buyer speculation, this is actual official info!

This is the checklist that comes with each doll and shows their art, name and symbol.

The black sheep is a square. The tiger boy is a diamond. The unicorn is also a diamond, but it looks more like a sparkle. The bear is a circle, the bunny a heart and the fox a triangle. 

After opening two, it looks like these are plenty accurate. The triangle was the fox and the diamond the tiger. 
 


You push on the top of the box (the spot is indicated) and pull out the pouch inside. The instructions and a straw are in the main outer packaging. 

I don't go for all the silly opening rigmarole, but you're supposed to take the straw and poke it into the inner pouch and then confetti's gonna pop out of a little pocket on the top. Woo. Yay. A mess to clean up. No, thank you. 

So I just cut the inner pouch open.  




That picture above was Roxie Foxy, but I'm going to jump to CJ Cuddles for a second, because this is what's inside the inner pouch. I got a little excited and opened one of Roxie's packets before I thought to take a photo. 

But anyway, you get a clip-on plush animal pouch that zippers shut. I love this tiger one. It's super cute. 

And then you get two small pouches. One is the outfit, the other is the shoes. 





Okay, back to Roxie. 

Fox pouch. 

Shoes pouch closed. 

Outfit pouch opened and there are her clothes. 








Opened the shoes. OMG so cute. 








Then inside the fox is this white plastic pod thingie with a clear plastic cover over it. (Why? I dunno.)





Untape the white pod and get that poor doll out of there!

So this is Roxie Foxy. I love the printed lingerie. It's really quite detailed. 

Her printed face is super cute, too. 

She has a tag attached to her hat and it's like a beanie baby tag in a protector and everything. It's got her birthday and little catchphrase. Kinda ridiculous. You know kids are gonna play with these. Why even try with that?



Now this is why I really love these. I have hardly ever seen a fabric, jointed doll before. Like I can think of My Child from the 80s, but they were much bigger and aimed for the Cabbage Patch buyers (only the dolls were way cuter than CPKs). 

These dolls are articulated in the same places as a basic doll: neck, shoulders, hips. 






With her head turned.

So I love the fabric doll + articulation aspect, but the next picture is going to be what turns people off these.


Her hair is not a wig. It is stitched to the fox hat. 

You cannot ever remove the fox hat. 

Unless you want a bald doll. 

So that severely limits redressing options, because she's always going to have that hat on. 





Ah, now we're fully-dressed. 

The little red dress velcros in the back so it's easy to put on, and the fur stole has a couple thin plastic straps that her arms slide into. 

The shoes go on easy and stay on. No falling off.

 





A little bit closer on the face. 






And with her pouch. 





Now we saw CJ's opening picture up there. 

So here's his outfit: long-sleeved tee, shorts and shoes.






Printed undies and socks. 

And a band-aid across his teeny nose. My mom loved that. She loves him.






Tiger butt. 







Dressed!


And with the pouch. 

I wasn't originally going to open him, but my mom thought he'd be cute, so I did and I have no regrets. I've decided this is clearly Calvin. Heh. 

So I like the uniqueness of the articulated fabric doll. I like the animal pouches, and the clothing and shoes are cute. A few points off for the hair being attached to the hats and not even full wigs, but I'm not going to change their clothes, so it doesn't bother me. The printed faces are really adorable. Definite bonus points for them not being truly blind. You can't see anything, but you know which doll is inside that box. 

I think they're a better value for the money than a $16 LOL with hairpieces that don't even stay on well. I want the sheep and bear girls and maybe the bunny, but I might just get all of them. They're cute enough and small enough that they don't take a load of space. I'm looking forward to seeing Series 2!

PHOTO CREDITS: Mine.

8 comments:

  1. I'm so happy to see a post about these because I've had them on my mind since browsing the toy aisle at my local Walmart the other day. They are just so adorable to me but I didn't know why until you mentioned My Child! Yes, THAT is why these bring me such a sense of nostalgia! If I saw the Na Na Nas as a child (really tho what is with that name????) I would have begged Santa for them, lol.

    That said, I'm on the hunt for the fox. Maybe the bear and unicorn, too.

    I really look forward to seeing future series of these. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish they were in mine! I had to blind order another 2 off Amazon, though they won't ship for a while. I really want the sheep.

      The name is completely nonsensical definitely, but I like them regardless.

      Delete
  2. Wow! Thanks for sharing this valuable blog with us. I would like to share something useful with you regarding Gifts & accessories, Fabric Doll, Headbands , I hope this will help you as an inspiration for your next upcoming blog on girls dresses.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice blog and explanation of the doll. Did you say how tall they ate? I missed it, if so. You’re right, the unchangeable hat is limiting hairstyle and fashion wise. Are there additional clothes for them or can they just wear each other's clothes? Anyway, appreciate the review. I tried to make sense of them on their website and failed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. “Are” , not “ate”. 😖

      Delete
    2. I think they're about 7 inches tall. It varies a bit, depending on hair and hat. There haven't been more clothes sold separately for them yet.

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete