Friday, June 10, 2016

ARTIST SPOTLIGHT: Elena's Art Dolls

Mimi
I decided to start a new type of post that will highlight toy artists that aren't big corporations or high end collectibles. I buy a lot of dolls and plush that are completely handmade or designed by artists and then funded on Kickstarter. So I thought it would be fun to do spotlights on these artists instead of just me rambling about vintage or modern dolls/plush.

One of my favorite current artists is Elena's Art Dolls, who sells her creations on ebay only. Her user ID is maranathaelena.

Elena produces a lot of primitive-style rag dolls. Each is very well-made and comes with a lot of cute details.

Tita





Hair is typically yarn and facial details can be painted, stitched and/or buttons.

I have a search for rag dolls that's delivered to my inbox daily by ebay, and I remember seeing a few of Elena's designs and thinking they were cute, but it wasn't until Mimi and Tita that I absolutely had to buy. I love the cartoony expressive faces on these two! And Elena included a free kitty as well.

Tammy and her dolly









Elena also makes dolls in the more typical Raggedy Ann-inspired style that so many primitive artists like. I'm not as much into that style, but I saw Tammy in her list of completed auctions and waited somewhat impatiently for her to be relisted.. I love her long braids and the unusual detailing on her eyes. And she came with a free dolly friend of her own.

Azzy
Azzy is my most recent purchase and she actually just arrived today. I like her unique style.

Elena's dolls are always packaged well and shipped quickly. I was actually surprised to see Azzy in the mail this morning, because I wasn't expecting her yet! I have not had any issues or even minor disappointments with my transactions and I highly recommend Elena if you're looking for a rag doll that's a bit more outside the box than your standard Raggedy Ann.

PHOTO CREDITS: All mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment