Monday, June 20, 2016

OVERVIEW: Kooties

Healthy Kootie beanie, keychain and 10" size
Kooties were made in 2001 by Star. I can't remember exactly when it was, but I came across a wicker basket full of the beanie-sized ones when I stopped at Bob Evans during a road trip. I can't even remember who else was there aside from my mom. We may have been travelling with others, because I seem to recall that, but whatevs. Anyway, I bought the beanie Cuddly and Healthy at Bob Evans ages ago.

Healthy is my favorite. I can't even tell you why, because he's the most neutral-colored and I usually go for flashy or dark. Maybe it's his wavy hair. I dunno.

Healthy and Cuddly beanies. The original pair.

I can't remember why I picked Cuddly either. He's cute and blue? But they're all cute, so who knows?

Kooties come in four different styles. You can see in the first picture the size difference between the keychain, the beanie and the 10". I recommend the 10" size and every Kootie I add to my collection from here on out will be 10".

After getting home, I found the Kooties website and ordered 2 Healthy keychains (1 to use and 1 to keep in nice shape), Bad Kootie in both the beanie and 10" size, a couple stationery products, and an 18" Healthy Kootie.

Bad Kootie beanie-sized
I thought Bad Kootie would be my fave along with Healthy, but honestly, I never really bonded with him. And I thought I'd love the 18" Healthy and he'd be super-huggable, but instead, his head was enormous and he was so top-heavy that he was hard to cuddle, so I don't recommend buying the 18" ones at all.

When we were getting ready to move, both I decided to donate 18" Healthy and 10" Bad. I regret getting rid of the 10" one now, because that's the size I'm choosing to collect, but hindsight blah blah.

Cutie Kootie 10"

I thought of Kooties for an entry here, because I don't think many people have heard of them. I wanted to expand my collection a bit before writing this, so I did some online searching and mostly found beanies and the 18"ers. But then I stumbled across Cutie, who I fell in love with, and got the seller to relist the completed auction. I don't think Bob Evans had this girl on the day I discovered these, because she would have made it home with me.

Smoochy Kootie 10"









I had my eye on a 10" Healthy and eventually ordered one on Amazon. Then one night I was bored and decided to search for "star plush" on ebay, just in case someone happened to get one of these and not know the line name. I got super lucky and found Smoochy!
Tag with all the characters

So that's my little Kooties collection. I'd like to get the others eventually, but I'm really happy having Healthy in the 10" size because he's darling and the two lovely ladies.

If you do a little Googling, you can see pics of most of the characters on the tag here on the left.

PHOTO CREDITS: All mine, except the tag picture, which came from ebay.




13 comments:

  1. Where did you find Smoochy? I've been looking for years. I am only missing her and Clever. If you are ever interested in selling I would purchase her off you in a heartbeat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got lucky on ebay, because I searched for "star plush" and there she was. The seller didn't know the line name. I've gotten several more since this post, so now I have Healthy, Smoochy, Cutie, Groovy, Gutsy and Clever. I have Silly, but only in the little size. And there's a Bad on ebay I have my eye on, but he's lower priority than Happy, Lovey, Cuddly and Silly.

      Delete
    2. Sorry, I saw this reply suuuuupppeerr late. But if you were ever interested in selling I'd buy Smoochy, Clever, and Groovy from you for $150. These plushies remind me of my childhood and mean a lot to me.

      Delete
    3. I just bought Cuddly and was able to get you a Groovy from the same seller. If you want him, let me know and I'll let you know when he arrives. You can email me at eilonwe@gmail.com. I don't want to part with any of my collection, but I can keep an eye out for ones you need while I continue to look for ones I need.

      Delete
  2. Very cool to see the Kooties still have fans! I am the artist who created the characters, and I was closely involved with the company who I created these for (Fineline Properties). The plush manufacturer was actually named "Giant Star".

    I totally forgot about them being sold at Bob Evans restaurants!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that's awesome! I always love meeting the minds behind the toys I love.

      Delete
  3. I have all 11 of the key chains. They no longer have tags as my grandchildren have played with them. I loved them all from the moment I saw them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always wondered if anyone collected these, or even knew what they were anymore. I have 2 that I've decided to finally part with. They are both 18", one is Smoochy and the other is Bad Kootie. Would you be interested in them or know someone who might be?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm, how much were you thinking for them?

      Delete
    2. I honestly don't know what a fair price would be. I stumbled upon your blog because I was trying to find a price in order to sell them. I know the gentleman above offered $50 per Kootie, and I've seen the smaller ones for $10-15ea. So maybe $30ea? Is that a fair price? If you would prefer to email this discussion, you can contact me at jeremiah.melvin@icloud.com

      Delete
    3. I don't really collect the biggest ones, just the mediums. But I'd say try ebay. I know I've seen the big ones there and Smoochie might sell, since she pops up less often.

      Delete
  5. I have the 7" Healthy if anyone is interested.

    ReplyDelete