Saturday, July 9, 2016

OVERVIEW: Stardust Classics

Kat in her stock dress
In February 2009, I got into a new 18.5" doll line called Stardust Classics. I had just about finished collecting Karitos, so I needed something else to buy alongside the occasional American Girl. Well, Stardust Classics were totally perfect for me.

There are only three dolls in this line. Each one has a set of four books. The books are lavishly illustrated and really great stories. Each girl has a different fantasy theme. Laurel is a woodfairy. Alissa is a princess. Kat is a freakin' TIME TRAVELLER. I normally don't care for time travel as a story basis, but when it's in a doll line for girls, I'm in.

Alissa's stock dress
I'll begin with Alissa, since I got her first. Both she and Laurel were produced in two versions: one with sleep eyes and one with fixed eyes. I don't care for the fixed eye ones, so all of mine have sleep eyes. Kat was only made with sleep eyes. Anyway, Alissa is the princess character and she's pretty neat, because she's not your typical blue-eyed blonde. (Kat is, but Kat is a time traveller, so that makes up for it. Heh. Also, I tend to favor princessy girls when they're not blue-eyed blondes. See also: Ashlyn from Wellie Wishers.) Alissa's books were fun and illustrated by the same person as American Girl Molly's books, so that was a bonus.

One of Alissa's catalog pages
Alissa is a cute doll, but that lovely dress did stain her. No real matter, since she always wears full-coverage clothes, but I still need to note it.

Alissa's Forest Adventure dress
I managed to accumulate quite a bit of Alissa's collection. I had the cape, tiara and scepter, the nightgown, all the refreshments, the Forest Adventure dress, the tournament dress, the crown set, and even her bed! Yes, I bought a huge doll bed when I was still at NYU and would eventually need to drag the thing home. Thankfully, it dismantles easily. That bed has been a prominent display piece ever since. My Rosette School BJDs live there, along with my first BJD, Nothing. Before we moved, a lot of the smaller pieces got donated, and I ended up selling quite a bit of my Stardust stuff a couple years ago, but I still have the bed and Alissa in her Forest Adventure dress. I might have her stock dress. I don't recall offhand though.

One of Kat's catalog pages
Kat and Alissa arrived about the same time, but I was definitely most smitten by Kat. I still am. Odd that the blonde is my fave, but she's amazing. I am very, very lucky that I managed to get her Plum Travelling Suit very early on in my collecting. She's worn that almost the entire time I've owned her.

Kat's Plum Travelling Suit
From Kat's collection, I used to own her extras, the Plum Travelling Suit obviously, the Egyptian jewelry (though I never got the dress), the Egyptian treasures, the Mongolian blue dress, red jacket and cap, the horse statue, the Mongolian winter outfit, the oriental treasures, the vanity accessories, her nightgown, the satin gown and accessories, and the Florentine treasures. What I have left is the travelling suit, which Kat wears, her stock, her nightgown, the Egyptian treasures and I think I have her extras. I  did love that blue satin gown, but I'm pretty sure I sold it, since nothing can hold a candle to the suit.

Kat's vanity accessories
The detailing on Kat's stuff in particular is just amazing. A lot of the pieces are pretty fragile, like that quill over there, but the detail, man, the detail.

I really do wish I hadn't given away a bunch of this stuff and sold the rest. If I collected less, I would absolutely have every item from this collection, but I'm lucky I have space enough for one doll bed!

Laurel in her stock with Carpatina Emma in the Gold Sparkle Dress


I bought a bunch of the outfits and accessories before getting Laurel the woodfairy. I actually even got the red-haired Carpatina Emma doll shown to the right here before I got Laurel. But in May, she finally rolled in.

If you are looking for dolls with hair to style and brush, don't get these girls. Alissa would work okay, but the other two have hair that should not be touched by a brush ever.

Laurel is very cute and freckled. From her collection, I got her extras, the gold sparkle dress, the snack set, the pixie adventure outfit, her nightgown, the celebration gown, and the celebration accessories. I had the least for her. I still have her stock, her nightgown, and she's been wearing the celebration outfit since I got it. Emma got donated, I think. Man, one of my biggest life regrets is all the stuff I had to donate and then it turned out we had plenty of room in the moving truck after all. Plan your moves well, people, plan your moves well.

Carpatina Veronika
Stardust Classics is really an incredible, well-made, extremely detailed collection that's very unique compared to other similar-sized doll lines. I mean, a time traveller? I still can't get over that. Maybe someday I'll increase my collection again, but probably not.

I did however add one related doll to my collection. I bought Carpatina Veronika in January 2013.

PHOTO CREDITS: All mine.









RECOMMENDED SITE:
http://www.justmagicdolls.com/meet/jp/StardustClassics/StardustClassics.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment