Friday, July 22, 2016

FRIDOLL FIVE #8

I've had a busy week working on a short story every night after work, but I finally finished it earlier, so I'm hoping to get some new posts up here tomorrow. Er...later today. But first!

#8: Culture and Ethnicity

1. How would you describe your own cultural identity/background? (If you don't feel like answering this one, please feel free to make up your own question.)

I'm mostly German (and some Alsatian) with about a quarter Polish.


2. Have you ever given a doll a name from another culture? What names did you choose, and why?
(e.g. a name that has a meaning in a language that you don't normally speak, a name typically associated with a culture other than yours)

Sure. I'm not going to list everything off, but a lot of my Pullips and Bratz got Japanese names. Some were from my favorite Battle Royale characters. I use names from mythology a lot. I used to be fond of place names, too. These days, I mostly buy dolls that already have names, so I usually stick with those.


3. Do you have any dolls who are a specific nationality/cultural background?

Karito Kids, American Girl, Hearts For Hearts Girls, Global Friends, Monster High. That's just the tip of the iceberg.


4. Do you have any ethnic folkwear for your dolls? If so, what countries/cultures?

My Dolls of the World, Global Friends and some Hearts For Hearts Girls have that, along with some of my other world-type dolls. I have some Discover the World with Barbie fashions, Mulan fashions, probably a kimono or two.


5. Essay question: Imagine that you've been given complete creative control over one of the major doll companies (Mattel, Takara, Volks, Integrity, Tonner, Madame Alexander, any other company of your choice)... but you are only allowed to create *one* new line of dolls. What would your line be like?

This question has always bugged me a bit, since it was like the authors of these couldn't come up with a fifth "ethnic" question.

Anyway, my answer to this is easy: Goddess Girls. I want the Goddess Girls (and godboys) from the book series as dolls. I'd probably go with Mattel to produce them, because their quality, while occasionally problematic, is still the best on the whole, and these would need a lot of detail. Tiny GG necklaces, shimmering bodies (kinda like the Star Darlings), and lots and lots of pleated chitons. I have the Goddesses of Wisdom, Spring and Beauty, so I know Mattel can make pleats. 

No comments:

Post a Comment