Tuesday, July 5, 2016

OVERVIEW: Castle Keeps Gargoyles

A rare boxed one!
A random toy company called My Best Toys produced this small but completely amazing line in 1995. I never saw them or I would have bought them all right up. I didn't learn about them until many years later and it took awhile for me to find my first one, which I got in August 2011 on the Bonanza website. 

The gargoyles don't have names and they're simply packaged. Just a bubble on a backcard. They come with a little comb and nothing else. 

They're made of soft vinyl with glittery hard plastic eyes that glow in the dark and a long brushable tail like My Little Ponies. 

All seven gargoyles.







There are seven gargoyles to collect! They're mostly pastel colors, but some stand out more than the others. 

From left to right in the picture:

1) The first one I do not have. On the backcard, he looks peach, but I've seen a boxed photo where he appears pale pink. The belly is purple, which is the easiest way to distinguish him from the other pinky ones. He has blue-green claws and the trio of horns at the back of his head. The front horn looks to be a glitter layer over his base color. 

2) The yellow is the other one I don't have, but he's far easier to describe, because he's the yellow one. He's easily the most vibrant with pink and green details. 

My collection of five. 

3) The next one pictured looks to be a darker pink-purple. He's not. If you look to the group shot to the left, he's the first one on the left. While he also has the glitter over the base color on the front horn and blueish-green claws and the trio of horns, he's easily distinguishable from the first one thanks to the pearly belly. 

4) My favorite, the white one. Like the yellow, he's really easy to describe. 

5) The purple one. He's on the right in my photo, so you can see he's much more purple with no pinky tones and easy to tell from the first one on the left. His belly is also a matte aqua color. 

6) The sixth one was the first one I ever got. He's a dusty pink color with a glitter blue-green front horn and a purple trio of horns and claws. His belly is pearly pink. 

7) The last one is the greenish one. He's a hard color for me to describe. He's too dark to be mint green and a little too dark to be seafoam green. 

They're mostly easy to tell apart, but not quite as easy as the backcard photo makes it look. 

I'm extremely lucky to have accumulated five out of the seven! After getting my first in 2011, I didn't get any more until two years later. An acquaintance I'd known from a messageboard happened to be selling her extras on ebay and I was able to get the purple, green and pinky-purple ones to add to my collection. I just missed out on the green one with a tail, but mine is cute enough without one. Around Christmas 2014, a few auctions for carded ones appeared on ebay, including the white, which has always been my most wanted. I paid quite a bit, but I regret nothing, because I haven't seen a single gargoyle since then. 

I would love to someday have the other two, but I'm very happy with my collection as it stands. If you are interested in these, you have to grab them when you see them, because it may be years until they reappear!

PHOTO CREDITS: All mine. 

RECOMMENDED SITES:

4 comments:

  1. Nice article, they are my favorite toy from my childhood! I have three <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm trying to find these! Let me know if anyone is selling!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that you have such a collection! My daughter loved hers (back in the day) and I've decided to try and find one for her (she had the sort-of-mint green one).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck! Unfortunately, the prices on them have skyrocketed since I bought all of mine. They're absolutely ridiculous now.

      Delete