Wednesday, July 20, 2022

VINTAGE REVIEW: Soma Wunderzoo


In 1985, Soma came out with a line of Wuzzles fakies called Wunderzoo. I don't know anything about these except for what's right here, so I'm not sure if the US ever got them. I would think they would have been called Wonderzoo for us but who knows? 


 
Soma is one of those fabulous 80s companies that did a lot of fakies. My favorite MLP fakies are the little PVC figures made by Soma. They also did a lot of other small PVCs and I think some bigger fakies, too. They did a neat line of Glo Friends fakies that I may start collecting. 

I saw one of these on a Facebook collecting group and asked what it was. Then I found four of them on ebay. I asked the Italian seller if they'd combine shipping and they could ship all four for the same cost as one, so it was just a matter of saving up. 


I took two photos of the backcard. Why not? 

These guys are pretty beat up and the cards weren't in great shape, but they're from 1985. They still look fantastic to me. 



Unicorno here is my favorite. 

These guys are pretty large. They're a good inch taller than Care Bears poseables and probably Wuzzles ones, too. I don't have any Wuzzles ones to compare and my CB ones are all put away at the moment. 


They're flocked and can move at the neck and shoulders.

They have glued on plastic eyes that don't look nearly as horrible in person. They all photographed terribly! 

I don't speak Italian so I'm guessing at some of the names here. Unicorno though appears to be a frog unicorn, yet it just means "unicorn." 


This is Coccileone. 

Leone is obviously lion and a ladybug is a coccinella, so that goes together nicely. 



Not sure why they switched to green. His shell is red in the backcard art. 



Farfascimmia! This one I knew half of right away. Butterfly is farfalla, which I know from the pasta name. (Sigh.) And scimmia is a monkey. 



I love how the art shows him with these huge wings, but he's basically a pink monkey with a butterfly tramp stamp. Hilarious. 



Tigrorso. Tiger bear! Tigre + orso. 

He just looks like a bear from the front. 




And there are the stripes. 


This is Pantacavallo. He wasn't in the initial ebay listings, but they found him while getting my other four together and I happily bought him, too. 

I have no idea why he's blue. He was yellow in the art. 



Leopard is pantera and horse is cavallo. 



These two are my favorites. 



And here they all are! I'd love to find the elephant turtle someday, but I'm really happy with what I have.


PHOTO CREDIT: Mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment