Wednesday, March 23, 2022

NEWS: Shadow High

I don't normally cite anything without a source. I do follow Youloveit because they often have links to buy things, but when it comes to sourcing stuff that they don't have links for...well, they're not the best. 

However, today I'm making an exception for Shadow High.

https://www.youloveit.com/dolls/2403-rainbow-high-shadow-high-dolls.html

If you scroll down this very lengthy post, past the decent still shots and the amateur commercials, you'll find the art for the characters, as well as their character blurbs. Now that is something worth talking about, even without a source for the info. (Side note: I really wish MGAE would give more dolls to children. I don't want to see costumed adults talking about dolls when the actual target market is left out. I rarely watch these reviews because they tend to be calculated instead of honest or poorly shot or I just plain hate people's voices, but watching kids do reviews is pretty fun if I have the patience for a video review.)

Let's look at each one.


NATASHA ZIMA: 

"Meet Amsterdam’s very own Natasha Zima. She traveled a long way to study at Shadow High’s iconic Cosmetic Chemistry program, and she couldn’t be more excited to be stateside. From her testing out waterproof mascara against the twelve days of tears from her breakup with her longtime boyfriend, to her traveling as the personal perfumer to Princess Amalia herself. She loves all things makeup and beauty, because no matter what she’s doing, she always wants to smell good."

Now Natasha was my least favorite from the initial pics. I still think she looks like some sort of ghost Kirsten Dunst as Marie Antoinette cosplay but that's grown on me. That feathery, poorly-fit dress never will though. Thankfully, her second outfit is great. 

Anyway, Natasha earned a lot of points from this little blurb. I love that Shadow High has more unique focus tracks as opposed to giving us a fourteenth fashion designer or so-called "triple threat." My favorite beauty aspect is definitely fragrance. I spend more money on perfume and oils than any other beauty thing. So I can relate to "always wants to smell good." This is my second favorite of the new focus options (foci?) and it makes me want her doll a lot more.


SHANELLE ONYX:

"After winning every tween pageant in her home state, Shanelle realized her passion wasn’t just receiving incredible amounts of attention for her perfect poise and killer smile—she was obsessed with fashion and needed to study under the best minds in the industry. Shadow High was her calling. Shanelle is THE rising queen of Shadow High. Shanelle’s talent in couture fashion design already sets her apart from her classmates as it all comes so easy to her. But despite her strong personality, she has tons of friends that are more than willing to follow Shanelle wherever she may go because she’s an incredibly fun and loyal person."

And characters like Shanelle are why RH is sometimes dull. I don't need another fabulously perfect girl who is oh so successful and everyone loves her. With a blurb like this, she feels more RH than SH. I also hate her first name, as I mentioned before, and I don't like them giving a black character a name that means black. It feels...not right. (I felt the same squick when Krystal was Jett.) 

As for the doll, she's pretty, but not my favorite. Her face is gorgeous but I'm disappointed they went with long, straight hair yet again. Her dress is awkward-looking, though I do suppose that fits the oddness that is couture. Her second outfit is great though.


NICOLE STEEL:

"Nicole Steel is one of the most even-keel and thoughtful people you’ll ever meet. Unlike her classmates, she isn’t one for drama — unless you’re challenging her to a game of basketball. On the court she’s a whole different person: high-energy and super competitive.

The only thing she takes more seriously than sports is her art. Her specialty is installation art and she really thrives when she can think outside of the box and go BIG. This go-getter attitude is what always makes her pieces so special. But sometimes her focus is so strong that she can miss out on what’s going on with her friends. So, she is actively working on being an amazing partner to her peers by helping them bring their visions to life however she can."

Now that is a cool name. I love it. I also love the creativity of making the sporty one an artist. I'm not sure I've ever read a character that was both before. Installation art is also very unique. I'm not a fan of contemporary art honestly, but I love the idea of this simply because it's something that's not traditional. I also like that she's flawed but she's working on it. 

Nicole's doll is very cute. I like every bit of the outfit, though the highlight is definitely those thigh-high stocking/shoes. 


LUNA MADISON:

"Luna is Sunny Madison’s twin and her total opposite! She is the moon to Sunny’s sun — when the two come together, they form an eclipse-like bond. Unfortunately, the energy around them heightens so intensely, that they often feel more comfortable being apart from each other. Luna is a very dry, brooding filmmaker, and she has a hard time letting others in. She can be consumed by her art — which is definitely not great for her friendships. She doesn’t take criticism or change very well and struggles to take the intense feedback Shadow High is notorious for. Only with her closest friends can she let loose.

Luna’s whole family has gone to Rainbow High, so her decision to go to Shadow High is extra potent in her life—she’s always trying to prove to herself that she really belongs there. But she loves being the outsider in her family, and Shadow High is absolutely her destiny."

Yep, they actually did it. They gave Sunny a twin that she just happened to never mention over the course of two whole seasons of the show. I love the idea but I would have really liked it if they'd dropped hints along the way. (The back of her jacket does not count.)

I love this description of Luna's personality because she really is going to be the opposite of Sunny. I also tend to love "dry" characters. And like Nicole, she may not be the best at being a friend, which is realistic without being annoying as some of the Mainbow have been presented in the show. Also really love that she's behind the camera instead of in front of it.

I adore Luna's doll...as long as she's in her second outfit. That dress is a mess. I like the high gladiator sandals but without the sock things. 


HEATHER GRAYSON:

"Heather Grayson might look intimidating, moody and, well, gray, but what you see definitely isn’t what you get. She’s one of those girls that is always fun to be around and more importantly, always makes you feel included. Her kindness can leave you glowing even after a short encounter and she always offers up good advice. Heather is also fearless when it comes to voicing her opinion, even when it’s not what everyone else thinks; she knows how to stay true to herself. At Shadow High, she’s a Special Effects Makeup Focus, specializing in the most amazing looks. Her love for makeup (and all things Halloween) stems from her early childhood where she would curl up and watch old black & white scary movies with her grandpa. She may love a good scare, but Heather is fearless when it comes to following her dreams."

OH, HI, NEW FAVORITE. Sorry, Emi. I loved Heather from the moment we saw her art and then only loved her more every time something new was revealed. I flipped when I saw her focus. If I could do anything more hands on artistic, I would love to do special effects makeup. I was a bit obsessed with FaceOff when it was on Syfy. But then we get this blurb and yeah, she's absolutely my new favorite because after all these years, that personality description is the closest thing to me I've ever read. I'm sure some people would say that sounds self-centered but sometimes it's nice to relate to characters. I had one of the kids at work tell me she originally found me intimidating but then got to know me and thought "She's so nice!" I go out of my way to help new people feel more comfortable at work and I love making people laugh. People do come to me for advice. And I'm pretty sure I don't have to explain how the opinion part is just like me! She loves Halloween, too, and while I didn't watch horror with my grandfather, I did watch it with my dad. Aside from the similarities and me liking the doll's design, I also love when they add genuinely nice characters to the lineup because so many of them are so cocky, overly competitive and arrogant. Heather is also a great representation of a spooky girl that's friendly and nice instead of the brooding, dry, quiet type.  

As for her doll, I love her. Her makeup is gorgeous and I love her hair, but the crowning touch is her old school Bratz-type outfits. I love that. 


ASH SILVERSTONE:  

"Growing up with 4 older sisters, Ash had to fight to make himself heard in his family. As a result, Ash became the life of the party! He’s super friendly, outgoing and always wants everyone around him to have a good time. He’s all about the wow factor and loves to impress people with his talent for audio and visual effects. At Shadow High his motto is “work hard, play hard” — emphasis on the “play”. The minute class is over, he likes to let loose and spend time with his friends. He’s always up for anything and his besties know that he’ll be there for them no matter what — from a shoulder to cry on, to an ear for venting, Ash stands by his people and always has a playlist ready for any occasion."

I love Ash's doll. Definitely the best of the boys by far. I hope they use this mold for one of the RH dolls. His personality is cute. Not my fave, but I'm happy there's another nicer person in the school. 

5 comments:

  1. I admit I laughed when I read Luna's bio. What ever is an eclypse-like bonf? What does that even mean? Like, Luna overshadows Sunny? Idk.
    When they are together the energy heightens so much they prefer to be separate? What energy? Negative one? Or are they implying they are magical?
    Lol, I know is not important, I just find it funny when people say things without actually *saying* anything.
    Now a question, how is Luna's hairstyle different than Sunny's? Doesn't Sunny have buns also?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no idea what they were going for with that. Both the sun and moon are blocked by different types of eclipse, so you would think it would be bad, not a bond. Sunny's energy alone is pretty powerful but Luna seems the opposite of that, so I don't know what that means either.

      As for the hair, Luna's buns are smaller. That seems to be the only difference.

      Delete
  2. I kind of can't get over that Natasha Zima's bio actually references Princess Amalia (The Netherlands' real Crown Princess). Wonder if she knows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, wow, I had no idea that was an actual person!

      Delete
    2. I'm just curious if using her name is, like, something they had to sign off on. Like, probably not since her actual name is Catharina-Amalia Beatrix Carmen Victoria (Royals, amirite?), but it does make me wonder since Princess Amalia is her most commonly used name and title. (God help me, I'm turning into a Dutch Royalty Watcher like my grandma.)

      Delete