Friday, August 25, 2017

Adventures of the Ghoul Squad

I've heard the usual whiners complaining about this new series. The animation is bad. It's not the original. They're keeping the wahmbulance in business.

The animation is another new style. No, I don't think it's good as the original, but it is way better than the first type of CGI. The new CGI is really good, but they can't afford to animate everything that way.

The storyline goes that Draculaura, Frankie, Cleo, Clawdeen and Lagoona have formed the Ghoul Squad, and their mission is to locate other monsters around the world and invite them to Monster High.

Already, this has two major good points.

First, we're guaranteed to meet new characters.

Second, we are free from high school drama for the most part. No Fearleading silliness. No speed dating. No random couples shoved together without a little plot first. (I hope.)

New episodes air every Friday on Youtube and so far they have not disappointed. Each of the three existing episodes has introduced a new character.



In episode 1, we meet Fangelica. And no, she isn't really related to Draculaura.



Episode 2 brings Gil back and he doesn't have that stupid fish tank on his head anymore! Let's hope they also don't bring back the relationship drama with him and Lagoona.

And the best one...the most exciting...



ABBEY IS BACK. Today's episode reintroduced us to Abbey Bominable.

Her former voice actress did mention that she had a not so nice break with Mattel, so it's not quite the voice we're used to, but it's really not far off. Stuff like that hasn't ever kept me from watching a show I enjoy though. Things change. That's life.

In the video for the theme song, Rochelle can also be seen, so I think this new series is going to bring back some old favorites, as well as introduce new ones. Content like this is what I've been waiting for. Fun adventures. No silly high school drama. I only hope Mattel has the smarts to make the dolls to match these new designs. I'd still love a Sylvi in her regular look, plus Abbey and Rochelle in their new outfits.

Don't shun this series just because it's something new and something that came from the reboot. Give it a try at least.

4 comments:

  1. The cartoon-shaded 3D models somehow manage to look more lazy than Flash, but this is the G2 media support content I had wanted! It looks like a great way to bring everyone back and explain some of the new characters, too, and still has the MH cheese and charm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope Operetta is one of those characters they recruit. I would love to add more dolls of her to my collection!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So far I'm really enjoying these new webisodes. Like you, I was kinda growing tired of the High School schtick and appreciate some more proper adventuring.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not a huge fan of the animation personally, but as an art major who's a huge fan of animation, I think I'm a little more picky than others. :P My favorite will always the 2D style they used for the first webisodes. That said, the story of these does seem cute and I'm happy to see Abbey again. :)

    ReplyDelete