Friday, April 14, 2017

REVIEW: Kuu Kuu Harajuku figures

I still haven't watched Kuu Kuu Harajuku, but I can't help but love the designs of these toys. I have a few of the old perfume figures, but these are even cuter.

The five characters are available on Amazon for $5.99 apiece. Right now, they are add-on items, which means your order needs to be $25 or more to buy them. Easy enough, because you meet that if you buy all five.













Each figure comes with a child-sized ring in a different style, and several small charms that I can't help but wonder if they were inspired by Hasbro's Little Kingdom Disney figures, because that's exactly what they're like.


Each character has two holes on her skirt and one in each boot to place charms in. G has three holds in her headband, while the others have at least one hole in their hairdos.

G is the only figure to wear a charm in her skirt while packaged. That black bow is a charm.

All of them have at least one charm in their hair while packaged. The big black bow on the headband is another charm.

G's charms are the two black bows, red lips, a red megaphone, pink music notes, and a pink microphone.






The skirt and boots are removable on each figure. I love their giant feet! You know Bratz feet were always undersized for those huge heads. Well, Kuu Kuu Harajuku isn't afraid to give at least these figures whopping big feet.

G is the only one with stockings. The others all have bare legs.


Love has always been one of my favorites from the perfume figures to the original L.A.M.B. dolls.

She's my favorite of these new figures, too, although Music is a close second. Amusingly, those were my first two perfume figures.










Love's charms include a bear, a computer, a red heart and jellybeans (took me awhile to figure that one out).

Some of the girls have different charms from their prototype pictures on Amazon. G lacks the makeup on the figure, too. But G and Love both were shown with the charms they actually came with.


I gave Love the pink heart that came with Angel, because she needed more hearts.

Of the hearts in her hair, the bigger ones on either end are charms.

I think Love is going to be my favorite overall. She seems to be the smart one, a type I usually like. I really love the doll shown at Toy Fair, although again, Music is close second.


Angel is my biggest disappointment from the line, but it has nothing to do with the figure or character design. It's the fact that her prototype images on Amazon showed her with this adorable hamburger charm and she doesn't really come with it! That one was my fave of all the charms. Unless there are multiple charm options, which might be a possibility. I won't know until more people start taking pics of these girls.






Angel's charms are a pink guitar (shown without the yellow paint in her Amazon images), a bear purse, a little octopus (?), and a pink heart. The pink heart wasn't in the prototype pics. It was a little pink ray gun or hair dryer or something instead, so the heart is a nice change.




Angel's blue star and the biggest yellow stars in her hair are also charms. 

I decided not to use the pink ones on her because they don't really go with her look. Love's got the pink heart and I gave Baby the bear purse. 

The prototype pics showed her with a teal makeup line above her eyes, but the toy doesn't have that. 











Ah, pretty little Music. I love her. 

Like Angel, Music's Amazon photos show her with an extra charm. It's just a purple version of the pink music notes G comes with, so I'm okay with that being missing. Still not okay about the burger! 







Music's charms are a purple bow, purple kitty ear headphones, a purple guitar and a pinky-purple...well, it looks like a cassette tape to me.







Thanks to her hair, Music's got a bit of a lean. The other girls stand straight pretty well, but not Music. Her hair is huge though and very obviously on one side, so it makes sense.

Music's hair decoration is another charm.

I struggled with her a bit, because the kitty headphones are too cute not to use, but they don't look right anywhere. They'd look best in her hair, but I'm not removing her trademark hair deco.







Last but not least is Baby.

Baby got the short end of the charm stick. She was shown with an extra one in her Amazon photos, but also, two of the ones she was pictured with are not here.

Baby's charms are a donut, a cloud, a mushroom and a...cake? I'm not sure.









But she was pictured with a cute bear and a green sushi roll on Amazon. Neither of those came with her and they were replaced by the ugly cake thing.





I gave Baby the bear purse from Angel's charms. I think it suits her more. The two little bows in her hair are also charms.

These girls are about 4-5" tall, depending on their hairstyles. Their arms are a very soft rubber, while their legs are a harder rubber. Heads and torsos are hard plastic.

They're a really cute little doll line and you can have fun switching around the charms. They're like amped up versions of the perfume figurines. I'm eagerly awaiting the actual dolls though!

PHOTO CREDITS: Mine.

2 comments:

  1. They are cute! I think that Love's other charm is a bowl of ice cream, but I may just be craving ice cream right now...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just realized that they're jellybeans! It would have helped if one of the pinks was a different color.

      Delete