Tuesday, April 11, 2017

OVERVIEW: Star Fairies

Princess Sparkle
I love the Star Fairies! This cute doll line came out in the mid-1980s. Let's say 1986 because that's when the cartoon is dated. The Star Fairies were made by Tonka, but sport the bodies of the Hornby Flower Fairies, a more cheaply made line from the UK.

The Star Fairies line consisted of 6 regular character dolls (Princess Sparkle, Whisper, Nightsong, Jazz, Spice and True Love), 1 special edition doll of Sparkle, 6 fashions, 3 flocked animal friends (cat, swan and rabbit), a unicorn with a coach, and a couple playsets. There was also a cartoon (with the main little girl character voiced by Drew Barrymore) and I have a story booklet, though I don't know what it came with.

Princess Sparkle is obviously the leader, sporting a pink and silver costume, and she's the only one with any sort of headdress. She has dark blonde hair and blue eyes. Her wings are pink and lighter pink. Sparkle lives in the land of WishComeTrue and grants children's wishes when they do the old "star light, star bright." She asks the wishing well for a helper and it sends her to Mount Wishmore, where she zaps a shooting star with her wand and creates the other five fairies.

Whisper
Whisper is the brown-eyed brunette. She was the only one I had in childhood. I adored her gorgeous purple outfit and I've always been a sucker for brunettes. Her wings are purple and pink. Whisper whispers a lot. Obviously. She's the fairy of secret wishes. I had my original for years, but eventually she became far too beat up to keep any longer. Her hair was falling out, there were holes in her sleeves from being redressed a lot. Those thin sleeves do not hold up well! She's still a fave, although my adult faves are different.

True Love












True Love's a platinum blonde with brown eyes, a rather neat combo. She's got the most boring costume, but a nice pair of wine and gray wings. True Love's the dreamy romantic. I don't typically go for the blondes, but True Love's actually one of the prettiest, I think.


Spice



Spice is your typical redhead with green eyes. Her hair's pretty wild and is always in her face. She's also got a lovely pair of wings in shades of red, yellow and orange. Spice is the energetic, headstrong one, deemed the "energy fairy." I thought she was going to be my adult collection fave, but she's not. She's surprisingly much lower on the list than I expected. Although I do love every one of these girls a lot!


Nightsong









Nightsong is my second favorite and the first one I got when I was recollecting. She's got a rather simple design, but it's very pretty, too. She has dark brown hair the same shade as Whisper's and brown eyes. Her wings are blue and white. Nightsong plays a little set of pipes that put people to sleep. She's the dream fairy.

Jazz






Jazz is my favorite! I love that she's the only one in pants, even if they are see-through. She's got dark blonde hair and blue eyes like Sparkle. Her wings are a dark pinkish red fading to lighter pink. Jazz is voiced by Susan Blu, the same wonderful voice actress as Stormer. How could I not love her? Jazz is energetic like Spice, but a bit less reckless about it. She's the "talent fairy."

Each skirted Star Fairy has adorably lacy panties. Jazz is the only one without them.


Royal Princess Sparkle




There are two different wing shapes. Whisper, Sparkle and Spice have one shape, while Jazz, True Love and Nightsong have another. They each have a star on their clothing. Three girls have gold stars and clothing details (Jazz, Whisper and Spice) and three have silver (True Love, Sparkle and Nightsong).

These dolls have fabulous detailed outfits and are very poseable. Definitely one of the better small lines from the 80s.

I've grown to like the Flower Fairies more than I used to, but I still think the US got the better end of the deal with the Star Fairies.

PHOTO CREDITS: Mine.

RECOMMENDED SITE:
http://www.ghostofthedoll.co.uk/starfaries.php

No comments:

Post a Comment