Wednesday, April 5, 2017

REVIEW: DC Superhero Girls Katana


People have been waiting for signature Katana for ages, but she's finally here! I still think it's silly that she was left out of the initial assortment. I mean, who says that a case has to be only three dolls now? That's lame. 

Katana is $19.99 like the other DCSG sigs. However, you will not find her in stores. She is an Amazon exclusive. 

I've had her on pre-order since...I think October? She was supposed to release on April 15th, but in true stealthy Katana fashion, she snuck into stock on Monday. 


Katana is very different from her first appearance in the line as last year's SDCC exclusive. Naturally, she's less detailed than the SDCC, but she has several improvements, too. 

This version looks like her animated counterpart, while the SDCC did not. 


Mine's hair seems more layered than my SDCC doll's. The one section was even loose in the box as you can see in the first photo. 

She has the red streak of the animated design and the painted-on white mask with a darker edge at the bottom meant to indicate depth. This is likely going to be her most common spot for flaws. I remember how the mask lines on the action figures varied a lot. 


This Katana looks cute and approachable, whereas the SDCC doll was definitely more battle-ready. 

The biggest difference between the two dolls is the eyes. Signature Katana looks straight ahead, while SDCC has a side glance. 


Her hair is soft and silky, like most of the DCSG line. I really like how it lays, although she does get strays in front of her eyes a lot. But that's only annoying when taking pictures! 

I did have a shot of her armor, but it came out blurry and I stupidly only took one. It's been a long day.








The armor fits more nicely than the SDCC doll's did. The chest plate is great because it's like they got my memo about the shoulder pieces being attached to the chest plate, not sitting awkwardly on her arms with a big gap in between. She just has the one arm piece now and that looks fine on its own. 




They also fixed my other big complaint about the SDCC doll: that she couldn't hold her weapons well. Katana's sword fits well in either hand. It's not loose at all. She can also hold the sai from the SDCC doll. I didn't try the shuriken. They still seem a little too small for the action dolls, but they're great for the action figure. 

Signature Katana's boots are a solid pearly white. I wasn't expecting the pearly color, although now that I know of it, it's obviously pearly in her promo shots. They still look more white and less pearly in those pictures though. I like it. Gives her a bit of flash. 








While sig Katana is less detailed than SDCC, I do feel she's actually a better doll. She represents the show character, which is always a plus. She has improved armor. Even though it's not as fancy, because it fits better, it looks better. I like her sweeter expression better than the side-glancing sass. Which is pretty surprising, considering I'm usually a big fan of sass. I do like the red and black boots on the SDCC doll, but that's the only thing I like better about her. 


Her ID card has some really cute art on it. 

When this doll was first announced, I saw people complaining because they'd paid more for the SDCC doll. Well, having two versions of Katana by no means devalues the SDCC. Exclusive dolls are still more detailed and automatically worth more than a regular release. Nor should children, the target audience for the line, ever be denied the chance to own a doll they couldn't otherwise afford. 




The selfishness of people never fails to blow my mind. 

I also saw complaints about her being an Amazon exclusive, but honestly, that makes it easier. There seem to be loads in stock. She hasn't sold out once that I've seen. It's easy to order online and now you don't have to stalk the stores, waiting for them to restock their already loaded shelves. 

Some people just aren't happy unless they're complaining!

So get yourselves to Amazon and get your signature Katana. She will not disappoint. And she makes me very eager for Frost to come out! I hope she does soon. 

PHOTO CREDITS: Mine. 

No comments:

Post a Comment