Friday, December 16, 2016

REVIEW: LOL Surprise!

I have to say I'm really impressed that MGAE managed to take something that looks like Bratz Babyz, which never did super well, and turn them into one of the It toys for this holiday season.

LOL Surprise is the hot new blind pack sensation. People are buying these things up like crazy and scalpers are scalping them like crazy, right down to the entire display in some cases! (How does that even happen? Like how do you ask Target to let you buy the whole thing?)

My local Target stores had none yesterday, but almost all of them turned up with something today. I spoke with a girl in the department and she said they were supposed to have these displays to be put up on the 4th, but clearly, they all got to my area late! She held three for me at the electronics counter and my mom grabbed me a fourth, since they were setting up the display when she was there.

I didn't take pictures of the whole process, because that wouldn't really work, but I'm sure there are several Youtube videos of people opening these. (One of the rare cases where a video captures something better than still photography! I normally hate video reviews. Some are cute, but nothing shows details like photos.) LOL Surprise come in a ball, which is wrapped in several layers of plastic.


First, you peel off the outer layer and there's a little secret message like a rebus. Then another layer in has a sticker sheet. These dolls each do something: cry, spit up, pee or change color. I haven't played with all of mine yet, but each one has little holes in her eyes and...elsewhere, so you can't tell what she does just by looking. The stickers are to place on your checklist (photo on the left) to keep track of which doll does what.


Here in the photo on the right, you can see the secret message, stickers and bottle. I got two shaped like coffee cups and one shaped like a bottle. That's the third thing you unwrap and your first hint as to who's inside the ball. Keep unwrapping and the shoes are tucked into a little niche on the ball. Every plastic accessory is in a bright pink plastic bag, so this whole process is a lot of opening and a lot of garbage accumulated, but it's also very, very FUN. With the shoes, you've got another big clue. The next thing you find, also tucked in a niche, is the outfit, which pretty much reveals the identity of your doll.

Then you undo the ball and inside is a wrapped doll, wrapped accessory, instruction sheet, the checklist and a handle. The ball is like a tiny playset, a stand and a hanging ornament all in one.

These cost $7.99, but honestly, I can really see why. There is a ton of detail here, the unwrapping process is a blast, and we're paying $5.99 for ponies that can't move and $3.99 for tiny blind box toys that do nothing, so with these, you're at least getting something for your money.


The first toy I opened was Fresh. She was my third most wanted, so I was thrilled! She has white hair, big brown eyes and an awesome black and white outfit. Her accessories is cats eye sunglasses, which are cute, but I like to see those eyes. Each doll has little holes behind her ears to hold on accessories like these sunglasses.

The next one was Super B.B., the superhero doll. She's very cute, too, and I love her little cape. The heads pop off easily so it was easy to put her cape on and fasten it, then put her head back on.


Super B.B. has a coffee bottle like Fresh. Fresh's is black and white, while Super's is white with a metallic gold lid. I'll be curious to see if each character has different colors or if some are repeats.

Third, I opened Fancy, who is in the "Opposites" set with Fresh. She wasn't originally on my want list, but she reminds me a little of Bratz Dana, so I'm keeping her.


She comes with a hot pink more typical style baby bottle. All of the bottles are soft plastic and can actually hold water. That's how you activate some of the features, like spitting up and crying.

Mom and I lost Fancy's tiara for a bit. We've learned to only open one of these at a time. We found it unopened in our little Target bag full of LOL Surprise trash. So go slow and don't lose anything!


The fourth ball I opened was another Super B.B. I managed to see all the pieces through her bags, so I put her up on ebay still sealed. A lot of the unwrapping fun is over, but at least the pieces can still be opened by someone else. These are mostly selling unopened right now, because they're the most wanted stocking stuffer out there, but I think after Christmas, I should be able to finish out my want list with help from ebay.

All in all, I'm addicted, but at $7.99 a pop for possible repeats, I won't be buying a ton of these. My mom is going to grab a few more on her way to work, but after that, I'll probably be mainly buying opened characters from ebay. I really want the Rocker and Teacher's Pet! But I can also see myself keeping a bunch of characters I originally didn't intend to keep. They're very cute in person!

I took my photos in my dining room, so the flash wasn't going off. I'm hoping they still captured enough detail to be a bit helpful. Photographing smaller things can be tricky and I was excited, so I didn't fight with it.

If you get some LOL Surprise, let me know who you get and who you want! Maybe we could get some swaps going in the comments.

PHOTO CREDITS: Me.

No comments:

Post a Comment