Thursday, December 15, 2016

REVIEW: Monster High Electrified Twyla

I was absolutely shocked (har de har har) to see a giant display featuring new Monster High dolls at my Walmart tonight. And even more shocked to see Twyla and Clawdeen! I had loads to choose from, so I was able to get great girls.

Twyla will forever be one of my favorites, so I was thrilled to learn that she'd be one of the lucky few who remained part of the reboot right away. And from the back of the box blurb, she's going to feature a lot in the Electrified movie! I loved her doll as soon as we saw her at SDCC this year.










Twyla's art is super cute. I haven't been clipping MH art off the boxes as much as I used to, because I already have loads of bookmarks, but I couldn't resist snipping this Twyla out!





Here she is straight out of the box. I'm not a huge fan of giant plastic accessories unless they look really good and that bow and scarf thingy...do not.

Thankfully, they come off easily!


Twyla comes with a ton of hair accessories that I mostly left on the card to show them better. That's the point of her and Clawdeen: hairplay. But since hairplay has never been my thing, these pieces are wasted on me. They're also not very cute. The best one is the giant bow, but it blends right into her hair and only really works stuck to the back of her head, so all these things went into my MH accessory storage.




Twyla has giant pink dust mite earrings, which I'm leaving on. I'll let her have one giant plastic thing. Heh.

Her makeup is very simple and her lower lashes are purple. Her eyes match her hair now, instead of being purple, and they have little twisting shapes right around the irises. I don't really mind the color change, but I'm sad they took away the glow in the dark feature.




Twyla looks great stripped down to bare essentials and her pet is really cute.

Her hair is drier like the other Electrified girls, but didn't feel quite as dry as theirs. Clawdeen is similar. It's like they got slightly better hair because they're hairplay dolls. I dunno.

Twyla's little dress is really cute. Without the giant plastic bow, I think I actually like it better than Ari's.






Twyla is the first appearance of the reboot short body. The changes are fairly minor. The torso is a bit thicker and less unusually-shaped. Her lower legs are longer and a little slimmer, while her thighs are a smidge bigger.

The new doll has her shadow only swirling up her right arm. The entire forearm is gray with a few swirls coming up. I greatly prefer the multiple swirls on the original dolls. Considering the reboots often amp up the monster traits, I'm surprised that Twyla has lost so much shadow as well as her now normal eyes. I do hope on future Twyla dolls they vary the placement of the shadow. It's going to get boring if it's always just that one arm.


Twyla's body is a slightly darker color, too. There were actually a lot of variations among all the Twylas. Obviously, you have to watch for eye wonk. Several had one eye much narrower. Some had lip rubs. Some lipstick was brighter, some darker. A couple of them even had heads that were quite a bit darker than their bodies!

















Overall, I love this girl, just like I always love Twyla. I think she's a fine addition to the reboot cast and it's nice to see the short body again. I hope we get another short girl soon.

PHOTO CREDITS: Mine.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! I really enjoyed your in depth review of the Monster High refresh. You had some great side by side comparison photos.

    ReplyDelete