Monday, September 18, 2023

REVIEW: Shadow High Series 3 SCARLET ROSE


Woo, my newbies are finally here! After being teased by FedEx with an early delivery, they ended up coming two days after that. I'm actually fine with it, because I'm too busy on the weekends to devote all the deboxing time and energy these required. 
I've got a huge headache, so I'm only doing two girls today. My two favorites. 

Scarlet is easily #1. She's now in my SH Top 4 with Naomi, Shani and Monique. 


I ordered two to be sure I'd get a good one, and both of them came with the same odd problem. 

Their right hands were loose in the box. 

Not broken. Just fallen off. Still, weird. 



Box art for the entire line. 


Pinkie looks cute here, but I still don't want to pay full price. 




Stand and comb. 

The outfit the haters hate. 

I love these pieces. It's nice to see a young teen actually looking like a young teen and not a runway model or a spoiled rich girl. Even aside from that, it's also nice to see a doll just looking comfortable. This is something I grew up with in the 80s and I feel like we've gotten so far away from that. People bitch if every outfit isn't flashy and it's just...ugh. I prefer variety. 



Simple but still awesome boots. 

The barbed wire earrings are pretty cool, and I actually even like the sunglasses. 

I LOVE her accessories. Every piece is excellent. 

First, we have the coffee cup with her name written on it. 

Then the journal that opens and a silver pencil. 

Most importantly, two PAPER books. I really thought these were going to be plastic, but they're not! 


I'm so curious if she has a connection to Storywood or if she's just a fangirl. 






I personally could not write by hand with nails like that, but let's call it her one nod to RH's typical unrealistic style. 

I love the pants. They're cute. 








Contemplating what to write. 





Gah, I love her so much. 


The coffee cup is a great piece except for the fact that she can't hold it very well. It would have been better with a little loop like the pencil. 


The sunglasses are really cute on her. I won't keep them on, but still cute. 


Oh, I should talk about her hair. 

It was super gelled. It took me the better part of half an hour to get her how I wanted. I rinsed the gel out, then conditioned her, then brushed her and realized the gel was still loaded in there. A couple more rinses, still in there. Then I grabbed the shampoo and that seemed to do the trick. 

I combed out a lot of loose hair and snarls. She lost a few plugs. Definitely more than my usual RH salon time shedding. 

Her hair is nice now, but a hint of gel remains at the ends and in the ends of the twists at the top. 



Barrettes. 



I love her accessories so much and I wanted to display her with them all, so I found this old bag. I can't even remember what line it was from. But I put her pencil, journal and one book inside. 




She was a definite for an end table spot with my current crew. Glitch lost her spot after that crappy showing in Project Rainbow, and I knew I wanted Scarlet out here anyway. So now it's Emi, Monique, Shani, Naomi, Scarlet, and Mila. 



Final thoughts: She may be my favorite of all time. I think others are prettier in the outfit sense or more interesting in the hair sense, but I love Scarlet's entire picture. I love that she's a writer. Possibly a fangirl. She's some of my favorite colors. Her face and makeup are stunning. Her accessories are the best in the line. I love that she looks realistic and comfortable. This is a girl who is going to hang out in the cafe to read, write, and drink coffee for hours. She's dressed for it, not the runway. And that's perfectly fine. 


PHOTO CREDIT: Mine.


3 comments:

  1. Scarlet is one of those dolls that really shouldn't stand out the way she does with her casual look. I'm also very annoyed by just how many people diss her because *gasp* she wears a sweater!
    I'm personally in love with the details that makes her feel not only as a writer, but maybe a bit of a horror writer? Like, the darker colors and the barbed wire earrings really give that feel. (Then again, there's a bit of a meme going around on Tumblr that she's 'Silent Hill-Coded' and I kind of love it. Now I want a lead pipe accessory.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could definitely see her writing dark, twisted versions of the Storywood fairytales. How is she Silent Hill-coded? I'd love more details. I've only ever seen the movie.

      Delete
    2. It's mostly the barbed wire earrings, metal barrettes and the more muted color palette with like, dark red and gray, I think. Not to mention she does have more of an 'Average Joe/Jane' vibe that most Silent Hill protagonists tend to go for.

      Delete