Friday, July 9, 2021

NEWS: Spin Master's Mermaid High

 

Aha, finally a look at Mermaid High that I can post! 

Oceanna here popped up on Amazon as a pre-order:

https://www.amazon.com/Nobu-MermHig-DlxCore-Doll-Oceanna/dp/B08T5J3BGJ/

No sign of the other 3 girls yet. The price is $26.99 and release date is 9/20.

This cute mermaid line is made by Spin Master. 




Each doll comes with quite a bit of stuff. A bottom piece and shoes for a human look, plus multiple accessories.





I love the design on this girl. She's one of the two I'll end up buying. 




Definitely cute! I love the bright colors. 


Oceanna, Finly, Searra and Mari. 

(SEA-RA?!!!! My inner Mermista is pleased, but also annoyed because that's the worst doll of the four. I am not getting her just because of a Mermista joke. I'm not.)


So inevitably, the doll snobs are at it again. I mean, seriously, these do not look like they come from the dollar store. That's a bit much. We need to remember some things here. 

1) Not every doll line is going to come from a big money, design power company like Mattel and MGAE. Therefore, they're not all going to be on the quality level of Monster High and Rainbow High. That doesn't mean they're suddenly dollar store level. 

2) They actually used different faces, which makes them already less one-note than OMG and RH in that department. Good for them. 

3) Toys are for kids. Mermaids that also have human clothes? Long hair to brush and colorful looks? These just may be a hit with the target market. Which, as I do love to remind the snobs, IS NOT ADULTS. 

PHOTO CREDITS: Promos from Amazon.

7 comments:

  1. These are darling and good job on Spin Master for giving them quite a few accessories. The only thing I'm not in love with is the amount of hair, as it can get messy, but that's an easy fix with scissors and/or styling. I like how you mentioned the varying faces. We need that SO much now! I really feel that's one of the things that made Monster High stand out and the hot dolls on the market now are SERIOUSLY lacking. I am an RH fan (and LOL to a lesser degree), but the lack of facial variety is so bothersome. It's especially frustrating with RH's core six, where I cannot justify buying each new release just to get the different clothes. Also, people really said Mermaid High looks like it came from the dollar store? That is such a ridiculous insult, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup! The line was brought up in the RH Facebook group I'm in and several people said things like dollar store, Family Dollar, Dollar General, etc. I completely understand noticing the lesser quality compared to the heavy hitters, but there are really only two companies that can afford to do that level of quality when it comes to playline. Other companies just can't. I've always tried to appreciate a wide variety of quality levels in doll lines, because each one offers different things. I've never seen a mermaid line like this one, so I appreciate that, no matter the quality. It's always been more about design for me than stitching on a piece of clothing or articulation or some such thing.

      Delete
  2. I'm glad Spin Master is back in dolls. As for the quality... I guess the hair is a bit iffy, and if you still remember Liv this seems like a step down, but I think they're good enough. I can't stress enough how much I appreciatethat these come with removable tails, we haven't had mermaids like that in forever (Barbie Dreamtopia only has one Ken with the feature this year).

    I like the individual styles, and I *especially* like that there are only four to start with. You can't imagine what difference one or two dolls makes on the wallet nowadays with the new standard mid-high-20-dollars (which makes it's way into £ more often than not).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'd also say the hair is iffy on everyone except Mari (purple hair). I've got her and Oceanna on pre-order and I'm fine with starting with just those two. Price points on dolls these days are definitely insane!

      Delete
  3. Finley is serving Briar Beauty fairy tale-ness.

    Also, their clothing looks like actual fabric with sewn details, which puts them a few notches above Mattel's playline. Definitely not dollar store quality.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a collector and a big LOL OMG fan but I also love lines like these. I wish FailFix could get at least one more series of releases out because I love my Dance.Stylez I got from them. Anyways, I'm really excited for Oceana! I've never been a mermaid person but her colorful sporty theme and blue hair are so lovely. 💙

    ReplyDelete