Thursday, October 15, 2020

REVIEW: LOL OMG Remix Super Surprise

Okay, this review is late, because I've had this set for a while, but man, this is one of the hardest things I have ever deboxed. It took me two hours to debox it all. And I did not stop to take pictures except for two. I think it was after work and I was too tired to do this properly, but these are LOL OMG. There have to be a zillion reviews already that actually show every piece in order and all that crap. 

Definitely one of the biggest shipping boxes and biggest doll boxes ever. 


There are step by step instructions for how to OPEN this thing. 

That's how epic it is. 

Again, I'm not going to do a step by step process. I finally got around to taking my pictures tonight of the dolls I dressed and put together ages ago. So this is more like a discussion of my opinions than an actual review that shows all the details. 

So basic premise of this set is that there are two bands. One is the LOL Surprise little sisters and the other is the LOL OMG big sisters. The little sisters have all been previously released, but two of them were in a line with rooted hair. So this time they have molded hair. Which is pretty cool. 



I have to start with my favorite. 

Older sis: Metal Chick.

Younger sis: Metal Babe. 

Shown here: Metal Chick on her stand with her guitar, glasses and brush. Metal Babe with her instrument and bottle. 

Don't expect to see the glasses again. They don't fit. 



On the left is the original Metal Babe. She's one of my fave LOLs ever. On the right is the one from this band set. I love her with the molded hair, too. 





The big girls' instruments actually make noise. They have several buttons to press and each one plays a different tune. It's pretty awesome. I would have had a lot of fun with it as a kid. And yes, there is a switch to turn it off if you don't want to play something every time you touch it. 


Now you guys saw Metal Babe, the younger doll. Did she look girly frou frou at all? NO. 

I hate this trend of making the older sisters more stereotypically feminine. 

Translation: Where in the hell did all this lace and gingham come from? And WHY?



Love the boots, though they're not my faves from the set. 

Metal Chick has teeny tiny spike earrings. Like it would have killed them to just have them on the damn doll in the first place. But no, unless you are incredibly meticulous, expect to go hunting for these things. 

It honestly took me several minutes before I realized she came with earrings, because I put my hand on one on the rug. I found the other in my little trash can with the open wrappers. 

And expect to stab yourself. Because not only are they tiny, they're spikes. 



Metal Chick's sleeves are pretty bulky and not the easiest to get on. 

The plastic corset is badass, but don't expect to be able to close both sides. It's okay because her stand helps hold it on. But it really does okay on its own, too. 



Here she is without the sleeves. 

Yeah, there are more girly bits. 

Sigh. 

I really wouldn't care if the little doll had any indication this was her theme, but she doesn't. She's a teeny badass. I'm probably going to say "badass" a lot in this review. Get used to it. 






Oh, look, the skirt comes off! Woo.


Okay, this I can work with. 

Overall, I do love this doll. As mentioned, the corset and sleeves are not the easiest to get on. And the earrings really need careful watching and they're not easy to put on either. 

My doll is sadly flawed. The bottom of her head is misshapen underneath, so her head isn't properly attached. It pops off very easily, though it doesn't just fall off every time I move her. 

I do love her though. Definitely one of my favorites from the entire line. 



Moving on, the little sister here is Bhaddie, so her big sis is Bhad Gurl. 

LOL has never been big on spelling. 

I honestly don't get where the H comes from. 

I will be calling the big one BG. 



Original on the left, band one on the right. Again, loving both. 

The bottle is by the big doll's feet in the first pic. I forgot to grab it for this one. 



Hideous glasses I refuse to put on my doll. 

On one hand, I really love how they did this. Her drum kit slides onto that black plastic harness, which goes over her shoulders and around her waist. 

On the other hand, those shoulder pads are spiked and very hard plastic. I had to stop in the middle of her review to go get a bandage, because in the struggle of undoing her waist strap, I cut my finger on the spikes. 

Yep, these are made for kids. Sure are.





I'm not undoing all her layers of clothes. 



She has two rings that say her poorly-spelled name. 

But they also double as something else.

And this is really clever.




Those ring holes can be used to hold her drumsticks!

I love them in the little case on her thigh, but I also love her holding them. 




I love her spiked hair band and the collar, too. 




She even has amazing shoes under those fur legwarmers. 




But is she badass enough to hang out with the queen of that haircolor? 

Why, yes, she is. 



So we've got Fame Queen, the older sis, and GooGoo Queen, the younger. I don't have the original GooGoo doll, so this is all you'll be seeing of the little one. 

Off to the left are her half skirt and glasses. You won't see those again either. The glasses are silly and the skirt would have been cool, but it won't stay shut. 



She's actually cute in the hat, but it's too much. 


So is the jacket. If you have a badass armored robot arm, why cover it up? 





That is so much better. Hey, MGAE, sometimes less is way more.

I read several complaints about quality with this set and I have to agree. I mentioned Metal's head, but I also have a defective robot hand on Fame here. It doesn't stay on well. 

Her earrings were not fun to put on either. Stop using spikes on parts that have to be pushed in!



A better look at the hand. It really is awesome. 


And these are my favorite boots from the set.


She's the one I like the least by far, but she's still pretty amazing. 





Ferocious originally had more pictures, but several didn't come out. My poor camera is getting old. 



But at least you can see her gorgeous hair and awesome earrings. 

I had no quality issues with her, but I'm not a fan of the odd boot covers. She has little shoes under there that are blue with black animal print, but you're supposed to put the black covers totally over them to look like big black boots. Why not just make her big black boots? 




That little earring is another one to watch carefully!


Overall, I think this set is worth the price. After all, you are getting 4 big dolls and 4 little dolls. It's way cheaper to buy them this way than individually. The quality is really the biggest hurdle. For this kind of money, they really should be way more careful. And the designs of some of the pieces are definitely not child-friendly. If I'm hurting myself on the pieces, how are kids supposed to do it?


PHOTO CREDITS: Mine.

9 comments:

  1. The fluffy elements on Metal chick come from her being styled after the group BABYMETAL, personally I love the contrast as siblings don't always have to mach exactly! ;)
    Also Bhad Gurl's legwarmers double as sleeves, hence the velcro bits on her outer vest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did hear that after. I just wish they'd stop making the older ones more typically feminine. Leave more that maintain edge. Not everyone is a frilly girl. But it's like for every 1 they do well, they froufrou up another 3.

      Delete
  2. Metal chic looks like monster highs draculaura the clothes the hair the shoes basically everything

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. right? I saw her and immediately thought of her

      Delete
  3. Thank you for all the details. It helped me understand what went where SO much better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. NIce i have this plaset and had it since october unboxed everything on xmas and i need help on bad gurls drums idk how to put it on her?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The drums slide onto the black plastic harness, which then goes around her waist with the bits that look like shoulder pads over her shoulders.

      Delete
  5. Where did you find the dolls earrings in the set? I didn’t find any? We’re they alone or mixed with another clothing piece?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they were mixed with other pieces. Deboxing this thing was a nightmare.

      Delete