Monday, October 5, 2020

QUICK LOOK: Altaya Strawberry Shortcake

 

So not that long ago, I learned that there was a company in Europe named Altaya that was making reproduction Strawberry Shortcake dolls. 

Most of their dolls are repros of vintage offerings, but they've made two so far that never were made in the 80s. I had to get my hands on these girls, being that they're two of my favorites!

So first up is Raisin Cane. Most people know the SSC villains as the adults: the Purple Pieman and Sour Grapes. Well, Raisin Cane is Sour Grapes' niece. She appeared in a vintage comic and that was it for her. 





I can't believe Altaya made this awesome doll. Each doll comes with a magazine, which I didn't photograph. It's pretty basic. 

The boxes are all the same, too, from what I can see.



I LOVE her eyebrows!

Her hair and outfit are really nice, too, and she has a great grapey scent. 




Love the molded earrings as well. They did an excellent job with her. My only nitpick is that her head and body don't match color-wise, but that's minor. I'll definitely take it if that's the main flaw in this doll that otherwise only exists in custom form. 


My second Altaya doll arrived today as a surprise. I had no tracking on her, so I had no idea she was coming!

This is T.N. Honey, who is a British scientist. She was in one animated special and then some of the artwork. I liked her when I was a kid because she was blonde with glasses like me. I like her as an adult because she's far less girly. And I always love the glasses-wearing girls still. 

T.N. is honey-scented, though she suffers from the same problem as the Series 4 Hairdorables. Every now and then, you get a whiff of beer scent! Hers is far less so than the Hairdorables though. 


 Here's my current vintage SSC shelf. Everyone is vintage except the two Altayas and I have Bridge Direct's Party Pleaser Peach tucked behind T.N.  

I do hope to get some more Altaya dolls. They did the Berrykin version of Peach, who's really pretty, as well as Banana Twirl, who I'd never be able to afford in vintage. I also want some more vintage Party Pleasers, like Cafe and Almond. 

PHOTO CREDITS: Mine.

2 comments:

  1. Ah I've been eyeing these guys for a while - where did you wind up buying yours from? Great to know that they're of good quality! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got both from ebay. Raisin was from a US seller and T.N. from Spain.

      Delete