Wednesday, March 27, 2024

LAZY REVIEW: Monster High Lenore Loomington



What's a lazy review? It's when I take pictures for fun instead of trying to show detail. You can see all the details on Lenore in her promo shots on Mattel Creations. 


First off, I honestly do not understand why this poor doll got so much hate. There's nothing wrong with her. Is she worth $75? No. Are any of the Skullector dolls actually worth their price tags? NO. This isn't a new thing. Skullector has always been a little step above playline when it comes to quality and then the price tag comes from the exclusivity/limited edition. People have commented on this before, but it was such a sticking point with Lenore that it's actually ridiculous. 


Second, if you are such an entitled brat that you're calling for the designer to be fired just because you don't like a design, you have completely missed every lesson you should have learned from Monster High and you need to sit down and reevaluate yourself. The way this fandom has devolved into a bunch of spoiled, racist, fatphobic, you name something inclusive and they're against it jerks (to keep it clean) is very disappointing. You can't call yourself a Monster High fan and act like that.

Ugh. Anyway. 

I like Lenore's story. 


I've seen a bunch of "she looks like ____" comments and seriously, who cares? How many cats in different colors did we have? How many ghosts? How many pink vampires and people wanted another one? 

I like her pearly skin and I love her makeup. 



Her hair is lovely. Simple, but flowing and that adds to her ghostly quality for me. Long flowing dress, long flowing hair. 




Absolutely love the long dress. I think MH needs way more of these. Sooooooo many minidresses. Give me a full on gown once in a while. 

Her stand is taller so she can easily "float."

I adore her boot design, too. I feel like she's being formed out of ectoplasm and her boots are the final bit taking shape. That's why they're detailed at the top and still swirling ectoplasm at the bottom. 

I love that spider, too. 


All in all, Lenore is a lovely doll. I haven't decided where I'm going to put her yet. I may hang her with my flying Garden Ghouls to put all my gardeny girls together. Or she may stand, but then her floating aspect would be hidden by the dolls in front of her. We shall see!

PHOTO CREDIT: Mine.

7 comments:

  1. I liiiiiiive! (Sorry. Been a while since I could comment. Been watching, though).
    I think Lenore is lovely and yeah, the hatred for her is overblown. She's gorgeous and I just adore the concept of a person so in love with a place that they decide to stay even beyond their life.
    I'll patiently wait for mine to arrive, but for now, the pretty pictures of other people being happy with her will do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad someone else likes her, too! I really love her story.

      Delete
    2. It's very cute, in a slightly morbid way. But hey, that's exactly my jam.

      Delete
  2. I was disappointed in her, not because I hate her, but because I was expecting something different. I believe that the release of Wednesday and Morticia dolls in the next few months might have affected her? I don't know. With the Edgar Allan Poe implied inspiration I expected a more gothic design, more human looking but still dark and this design just looks very random to me. Anyway, she is not a bad doll at all. I appreciate her long dress and her accessories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm totally fine with disappointment. Not every design is for everyone. But when I saw repeated comments to fire the designer, it really made me angry. It still does. The behavior in general of so many MH "fans" is appalling.

      Delete
    2. Oh absolutely. For me it is heartbreaking seeing so much hate towards someone who clearly is passionate about the brand. Just because I don't like the design doesn't give me the right to kill the love someone has for this.

      Delete
    3. For me, not only is the calls for her firing frustrating because it's, y'know, cruel and mean but... also kinda betrays ignorance about the brand?
      Like, if I had the petty gall, I'd go on Insta and go 'So... who's your fave character?' and see how many Rebecca Shipman designs I get. Probably a lot since she designed, among others, Robecca Steam and Rochelle Goyle, some of the most popular characters of the brand.

      Delete