Wednesday, April 26, 2023

REVIEW: Mattel Little Mermaid Ultimate Sisters 7-Pack



I have been waiting for these ladies for what feels like ages!

I think this is the second largest doll set I've ever gotten. The Ralph Breaks the Internet princesses are the only bigger one I can think of. 

These dolls are all gorgeous and well worth the $100 price point. 




I'm going to show them in the order they're packaged in. 

So this is Caspia. 

I thought she'd be my least fave aside from Ariel, but she's quite pretty in person. 





Caspia is the fifth sister, if you follow the order in the Guide to Merfolk book. I know Mala is eldest and she's first in order, so I'm guessing that's what they were going for. 

Caspia rules the Apneic Sea. 

She's described as selfless and a little bit reclusive. She values knowledge and is very protective of coral. 






The stunning Indira. 








Seriously, she's way gorgeous. 




Indira is the fourth sister and rules the Brinedive Sea. She's described as generous, empathetic and kind, but also an excellent diplomat and skilled debater. 








In Against the Tide, which I really need to get back to reading, Indira and Caspia are inseparable. 






This is my #1 girl. I love every single bit of Perla's design. 






She's an incredibly striking doll. 






Love how they did her hair. 





Perla is the sixth sister, so she's the one right before Ariel. In Against the Tide, she's the one Ariel talks to most. 

Perla rules the Piton Sea. She's described as charismatic, thoughtful, and good-natured.






Karina is the one who looks like she'd be my fave, but no. She's more middle of the pack. 






She's pretty, just less standout unique than several others. 






Karina is third oldest. She rules the dark, icy Saithe Sea. Karina is described as the most reclusive, the most decisive, and gifted with animals. 






I decided to take pics as I sat the doll I'd just finished reviewing down next to another. 








I really want to love Mala, but she's my least fave other than Ariel. The actress and doll are gorgeous, but I'm just not feeling this color scheme. 







Her face is so pretty, but the colors. I think it's because there have simply been too many pink mermaid dolls. Something about the ruffles and colors and the little headband feels like it's been done before. 

Mala is the eldest and rules the Chaine Sea. She is the most fearless of the bunch, strong, intrepid, and apparently has a good sense of humor, too. 





The semi-warmer-toned sisters. 





This is my favorite after Perla. Tamika is STUNNING. 

I think she has the best top and tail design. 




Beautiful but slightly hard to take pics of. Her eyes kept catching the flash. 

Tamika is the second oldest and rules the Fracus Sea. She's described as tactical and ruling with an iron fist, both a mighty warrior and a fierce ruler. 

In Against the Tide, Tamika hasn't been seen since their mother's death, so I'm intrigued by her story. I really need to go read that. 





These three look awesome together. 







And finally, Ariel. 

Compared to the others, she is a bit of an odd mer out. I didn't mind the slightly oversized, cartoony eyes when she was by herself, but next to all her sisters with their more regular proportions, she's a tad out of place. 



Ariel is the seventh and youngest of Triton's daughters. She rules the Carinae Sea. She's described as spirited, sensitive, and very interested in the human world. 


Forgive the BEGoths down there, but this was the only way to get a photo of all seven without them tipping over. 

The tails have pretty good articulation and I think these overall are very well-done. I love all the different colors and fin styles. The hair is decent quality. These are great dolls for the price. I can only imagine what they would have cost with elbow and wrist articulation like I'm sure some people will complain about. Their face sculpts are lovely. I'm so happy to have them! Now I just need to go read more about them. 

PHOTO CREDIT: Mine.

4 comments:

  1. I am with you, Tamika and Perla are my favorites, too. Tamika is just stunningly beautiful. The color scheme is incredible it almost reminds me of those bioluminescent fish. I wish she was available separately too as I kind of want two to make a human one.
    The only thing I don't really like about Perla is the way her blue highlights are done. The too perfect one row one color one row the other is unpleasing to me somehow. It reminds me of the early 2000's when people had evenly spaced platinum blonde streaks in their brown hair lol. Anyway, that is a nitpick. I believe she is "latina" coded? I mean her name is in Spanish.
    And poor Ariel. She does stick out like a sore thumb between the more realistic sisters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perla's actress is Lorena Andrea, who is Spanish and Colombian. She's gorgeous. They all are, but I think she is especially.

      Delete
  2. https://www.instagram.com/p/CsoBKpfMEhR/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link&igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

    ReplyDelete