Friday, September 30, 2022

REVIEW: Ruby Red Fashion Friends Nicky


Ruby Red is a very unusual toy company in that they encourage fans to design their own dolls and then produce some of those. Nicky was one of those fan editions and she was designed by an 11-year-old girl! 

I had a horrible experience with DHL when they failed to get her here yesterday. (I'm not getting into explicit detail, but I'm fairly certain the driver just stopped delivering at 6pm and proceeded to sleep in a parking lot all night and resume delivering in the morning. My distribution center is over 2 hours away and this went back out for delivery at 8:16am and was delivered 45 minutes later, so there's no way it went all the way back to Greensboro. Why the incompetent driver just stopped working 3 hours before the official end of day when he was literally right across the street from me is beyond me. I hate DHL.) 


Nicky is a very pale doll but she also has a pinkish skintone. 

Her fingernails and toenails are painted black. 

She comes with a card, a small notebook, her wig and her outfit. The outfit consists of a t-shirt, pearly white stockings, a short skirt with a long part in the back, black leather gloves, and black boots.



Now bear in mind, this was designed by an 11-year-old. So for all those toy companies out there that babble on about how all kids have to have long hair on their dolls, I give you this doll with short hair. And the same companies insist girls only like pastels, well, *gestures to the photo on the left* Those companies are full of it. 





Nicky is GORGEOUS. I love this facemold and her makeup is fantastic. 





The short skirt is complete. The longer back part is completely separate except where it's attached at the waistband. 




I really love her. Great work by the young designer.




With the bad experience with DHL and my shelves filling up at the same time as I get pickier about designs needing to be really unique, Nicky may be one of my last RRFFs. I'm very pleased with her and I have one was the only older one on my want list on her way, but nothing else they've done recently has appealed to me. The Halloween dolls were cute but kitschy and Elinda was way better. Red-haired Dorothy was cute but I already have 3 redheads and her outfit bored me. The fan club group design doll is a pretty but boring Victorian. I hope they eventually get outside the box and start making more dolls from cultures that aren't European, American or very occasionally East Asian. Then I'd buy some more.

PHOTO CREDIT: Mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment