Monday, September 3, 2018

RANKING: Monster High Frightmares

I had the idea to rank the Frightmares a couple nights ago. I'm waiting to do one for the Hairdorables, but I don't have them all yet, so I thought this would be a fun substitute. There are only twelve Frightmares, so this didn't take long!

Pyxis Prepstocking was the easy last place choice. She's just too plain and her dream creature is a pegasus, which means she has some wings slapped on her and that's it. She's not horrible, but she's not nearly as intricately-designed as others.



Aery Evenfall, whose dream monster is a skeleton, is pretty but also falls a bit short. They could have done more of a Skelita style on her torso and head or if they really went wild, they could have done a skeleton horse body. That would have been amazing. Aery's not bad, she just doesn't live up to her potential.








Caprice Whimcanter has a dragonfly theme. Dragonflies aren't monsters, so she doesn't fit as well as the other girls. The design is pretty cool, but there's something about it that doesn't wow me. I like the color combo, but I dunno, I think she's a bit busy and at the same time not monstery enough. And her face is plain.




You would think the yeti one would be higher for me, but she isn't. My first issue is her name: Meadoe Flurry. I like Meadoe. I think it's a cute name, but do they have meadows where yetis live? I kinda don't think so. I like that they did make her a deer, so she's got the giant branching antlers, but that also raises questions, because Fawntine is a deer because the deer is the one dreaming. (Or a deer monster, I guess. Deer themselves aren't monsters.) But Meadoe comes from a yeti, so where does the deer aspect come in? Good for design, but bad for logic. She is cute. I love the underbite, the antlers and her hair. I hate her mountain eyebrows though. So she's a mix of good and bad for me, hence her spot at #9.




I could not get a decent photo of Skyra Bouncegait. Her face is too light! Skyra's dreamer is obviously a ghost. She's cool. I love her pearly body and her overall color scheme. The cheerleader bit is on the boring side, but she makes it work. My favorite thin about her is her eyes.








Olympia Wingfield, the vampire bat Frightmare soccer player. Olympia ranks this high purely because of her head. I love her pretty fave and her hair colors.





I honestly thought Bay would be a little lower, because I consider the earliest Frightmares the weaker ones for the most part, but she kept beating the other ones when I'd hold them up in pairs, so here she is at #6. Her wings, her finhawk, her face and her color scheme are what brought her this high. She's just really cool. I love how they did her eyes and the blend of colors on her wings is lovely. Bay Tidechaser is obviously the Frightmare of a sea monster.



Merry Trotabout is another questionable choice when it comes to logic. Okay, she's part carousel horse, but I don't think most carousel horses have skeleton wings. Unicorn horn, wings, drippy candy motifs. Merry has a lot going on, but somehow she makes it all work. There's something really cute and appealing about her.




Fawntine Fallowheart is the deer Frightmare. I assume, as I mentioned before, that it's a deer monster. Fawntine pulls off her not-exactly-a-monster inspiration by having an excellent color scheme, having a sweet face, and, unlike Caprice, having just that little touch of the monstrous with all the bird skeletons.







Flara Blaze is the phoenix Frightmare. She's the only other really badass character aside from Frets, so that automatically puts her high on this list. I love her warm color scheme and the feather mohawk, and her tail and wings are gorgeous, too. Flara has a simpler face, but the rest of her is so intricate and her expression is so strong that it's enough.






Ah, one of the dumbest names in Monster High. Why not just do Penelope? Why in the world is she Penepole Steamtail? I call her Penelope. It's like they made a typo and just went with it.

Penepole's dream creature is a butterfly, which is another that doesn't make sense. Make it a robot butterfly anyway, since she's steampunk like Robecca.

Those things aside, I really love her. Her colors and her glasses are what make her really stand out. Every one of those color choices is excellent. She has neat eyebrows, too, though you can't see them.




And it should come as no surprise that Frets Quartzmane, the gargoyle Frightmare, is my favorite. Her colors are fabulous! I love her hair color in particular. Her tail is awesome, her big eyes are lovely, her whole outfit is cute. She's one fierce little doll and she's been part of my living room display, where I keep a lot of  my favorite stuff, ever since she came out.

I really do wish they'd done more of these! Where's my mummy Frightmare? Or a werewolf/werecat? They could have done a spider with four arms to match the four legs. So many great ideas could have happened with this line. It's a shame.

PHOTO CREDITS: Mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment