Tuesday, November 28, 2017

REVIEW: Equestria Girls Twilight Sparkle, Fluttershy and Applejack

If you had told me a month ago that Equestria Girls would be making me this excited, I would have laughed.

Well-played, Hasbro. Well-played.

I got lucky and stumbled upon the other 3 current EqG new releases on a day when the dolls are all only $7.49 on ToysRUs.com! I price-matched and brought these three home for $24 and some change.




The box backs have different photos than Sunset's, which is cool. I didn't expect that.

I opened Applejack first, so let's look at her.





Applejack's blonde hair is pulled into a side ponytail that includes the little braided bit, too. I don't really care for this, as it's not her animated hairstyle, so I played around with it.

Her outfit is a white t-shirt with green and white-striped sleeves and a metallic apple on the front. She pairs it with a dark denim skirt with a cute ruffle at the bottom and printed stitching details, a red rubber belt, and brown cowboy boots with a lot of details.

I do think she should have skipped the belt and come with her hat!



I pulled her hair loose and brushed it. It's not quite the same nice, silky quality as Sunset Shimmer's. A bit more dry, especially at the ends. But it's far from horrible.

The one front piece is in a little twist.

I think she looks cute with her hair down. For some reason, she gives me 80s girl series vibes. Think BSC Dawn and the Wakefield twins. I dunno. I'm odd.


The style I ended up with for her mimics her animated hairstyle. It's a ponytail, but tied off very low.

Applejack wears light pink eyeshadow and has the same sass brows as Sunset. Her lipstick is also pink, but a few shades darker. She has a smattering of freckles across her face.

I really love this Applejack doll. AJ's not one of my favorite characters, but I think this doll captures her very well and makes her very appealing.


Fluttershy is kind of a sleeper character for me. She's like Flora from Winx Club. I didn't care for her at first, but over time, she grew to be a favorite. Fluttershy's currently my 3rd favorite on the show, after Twilight and Rarity, who are always tied. Not including Sunset though. She'd knock Fluttershy down to 4th.

Anyway, the Fluttershy doll is gorgeous! Her yellow skin is decidedly pastel, but still bright and matches perfect with her pink hair.

Her eyeshadow blends from yellow to pink and she wears pink lipstick.


I wanted her hair loose, since that's the way the character wears it. As with Sunset, I left the one little lock tied down.

And as with Applejack, the hair quality isn't quite as good as Sunset's. Hers is a little dry at the ends, too. Sunset doesn't have that. I'll be curious to see how the quality is on Rarity and Pinkie, who have curlier, bouncier hair more like Sunset's.

Fluttershy wears a printed dress in a soft greenish-blue shade mixed with white. The straps on the dress are light pink and so is the detailing at the hem. Three pink glitter butterflies are on the right side of the skirt. She wears a pink rubber belt, too.


Fluttershy's shoes are a bit wild. They're basically gladiator sandals made from transparent pink rubber with glitter in it. There are bows at the top of the "laces" and butterflies on the front. The strange thing about them is that they're not wedges, like I expected. They have a very short heel and are meant to be flats, but due to the perma-heel doll feet, she looks fairly unusual perched forever on her toes.

I adore the Fluttershy doll. She's got a little goddess vibe going on with the flowy dress and hair and the sandals. Love it!



Twilight was my original favorite and still is one of my top two. She's one of the dolls I was most looking forward to getting and she doesn't disappoint.

Twilight has purpley-pink skin in a lightish shade. I think she could have been a bit darker, but Applejack seems a bit light, too, so it's not just Twilight.

Her hair is mostly a lovely navy blue blended with black, but it has one streak of purple and one streak of darker pink running through it, including the bangs.








Twilight has pale blue eyeshadow and her lipstick is a similar dark pink to her hair streak and bow.

She wears cute black plastic glasses.







Twilight's dress has a lighter blue sleeveless top with purple zigzag stripes and a white collar made from a vinyl material. The pink plastic bow is like a necklace and slides on under the collar. Her skirt is a stiffer, shinier material that flares out nicely. It's dark purple with her cutie mark print.

Twilight's shoes are wedge loafers over molded socks.


And look, even $9.99 dolls can have prints that run all the way around the dress!

Crazy, right?

Poor Twilight has the worst hair quality of the four dolls I have. It's dry all the way through. Still not horrid though and a million times better than the terrible hair on some of the early Descendants dolls.

I'll try to report back on how these three new girls look once they've had some salon time. I'm planning on bringing all four Equestria Girls with me on vacation this weekend, so I don't want to spend time on their hair now when they'll be travelling in a box not too long from now!

Overall, my love for this line continues. I think the faces are beautiful and capture the characters very well. The quality level for $9.99 (or $7.49 on sale!!!) is really mind-blowing compared to what other companies are doing for the same prices right now.

I'm crossing my fingers that the remaining three will be in TRU on Friday before I go! I'd love to take the whole gang with me, although they're not even on TRU.com yet, so we'll see.

Oh, and I totally forgot. I thought these would have case assortments, but my mom (who's the one that saw and bought them) said there were two cases worth of Twilight (so 12) and one case of each of the others (6 each). It appears they are cased individually by character!

PHOTO CREDITS: Mine.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like these new dolls alot better than the old once, you are so right about the faces. I do have an issue with Twilight having light blue eyebrows, inmstead of dark navy blue. But I do think the doll has the right Twiligt hair, which I belive is a first. Fluttershy is wearing a totally different outfit than she did in the move, I like that flowy blue dress alot better. I allso think Applejack should ahve hadf her hat instead of teh red belt, I don't even think it looks good with her outfit.

    ReplyDelete