Tuesday, November 15, 2016

OVERVIEW: Lady Lovely Locks

Maiden FairHair
The Lady LovelyLocks line was produced by Mattel from 1986-1988. The 8.5" dolls had detailed princessy dresses and long hair, and they came with little clips in the shape of animals with long brushable tails. These Pixietails were a different animal for each character.

Lady LovelyLocks herself is blonde and wears a pink dress. She's the only doll of the original five to have multicolored streaks in her hair. Her Pixietails are rabbits.

Maiden FairHair was my childhood favorite and is still my fave to this day. She's got light brown hair, wears blue and has chipmunk Pixietails. I bought my FairHair in a supermarket, when my mom and I were shopping with the neighbors. Their daughter got LLL herself, but I needed my FairHair.

Maiden CurlyCrown


Red-haired Maiden CurlyCrown has a lovely yellow dress and bird Pixietails.

The sole male human character in the line is Prince StrongHeart, who came with mouse Pixietails.

The final doll of the original release is the line's villain, the dark and beautiful Duchess RavenWaves. Instead of Pixietails, RavenWaves has Comb Gnomes, which are rodentlike fantasy creatures that help her with her schemes. I was always annoyed that RavenWaves only got two Comb Gnomes, while the others all got three Pixietails. They could have easily given her the blue one, too. RavenWaves has a gorgeous purple dress with layers of pink, light blue and darker purple fabric.

Duchess RavenWaves
Despite my love of the line in childhood, I only got two dolls: the aforementioned Maiden FairHair and my second one just had to be Duchess RavenWaves. I loved both of them and played with them a lot, but my friends had more of the others, so I never bought them for myself. Many years later, as I was exploring the online world of doll collecting for the first time, I ended up trading my childhood dolls for some She-Ra dolls. (My childhood Peekablue had an unfortunate neck-breaking accident, so I wanted an upgrade.) I regretted that eventually and stumbled across a lady with the original heroine trio for $5 each at the flea market. Why I didn't buy them all, I couldn't tell you, but Maiden FairHair made her way home with me. I always meant to upgrade her, because one of her eyes has a much darker detail line than the other, but I never got around to it.

One day at the Erie County Fair, I went into the building hosted by the local antique mall. In one of the cases, I saw a mint in box stunningly gorgeous Duchess RavenWaves. She was only TEN DOLLARS. So she came home with me, but I didn't actively collect the line then, so she was sold on ebay for $60. Naturally, after that, I had more regrets and my collecting began. CurlyCrown and LLL herself found their way into my collection, as did a RavenWaves and the ethereal mermaid Maiden GoldenWaves. I got a few of the Enchanted Island versions of the original girls, some outfits and even found a Hide 'n' Peek at Savers thrift store.

I never fully committed to collecting the entire line, but I did track down RavenWaves' Comb Gnomes (I didn't rebuy her boxed, so mine was missing the Comb Gnomes and her original shoes, which I replaced with a pair I prefer.) and I eventually sold some of the dolls and outfits I didn't really care for. My current collection looks about like this photo to the right here.

I would like Maiden MistyCurls someday. She was always the one I never could afford when she was available or when I had the money, she couldn't be found. And I would like that FairHair upgrade someday, too! But more pressing collections need my dollars.

PHOTO CREDITS: All mine.

RECOMMENDED SITE:
http://ghostofthedoll.co.uk/ladylovelylocks.php
This page will show you all the dolls, friends, playsets and outfits I didn't mention. The original line was the one that got the most attention from young me, so that's the one I chose to describe more.

No comments:

Post a Comment