Tuesday, November 15, 2016

OVERVIEW: Moondreamers

The Moondreamers were a small Hasbro line from 1986. Their outfits were space-themed and used a lot of shiny and gauzy fabrics. The larger dolls were 5.5" while the smaller Star Finder dolls were 4.5".

I wasn't into Moondreamers when they came out. I did buy Dream Gazer, because I thought she was really lovely and she got a lot of attention in my collection, but I never wanted any of the other dolls.

That's actually my childhood Dream Gazer in the picture, because I never upgraded her. Her dress is worn, but otherwise, she's in pretty good shape!

Sparky Dreamer
I got into the line briefly a few years ago, when someone on the MLPTP had a really nice Sparky Dreamer for sale. I ended up with her, then bought Whimzee off ebay. I think she came with a well-loved Crystal Starr, who I don't even have out on display. Whimzee didn't have her shoes, so I had to track those down. I also bought the stunningly beautiful Celeste mint on her original packaging and have a couple Snoozers I found at the thrift shop.

The Moodreamers are really pretty little dolls with the most awesome texture to their hair. When I was little, I loved to play with Dream Gazer's hair in the water, swirling it around, because it looked nice and felt so silky. I'm still rather surprised more doll lines didn't use this glow-in-the-dark hair because it really is cool.

Celeste
They also came with stands, which was great. I didn't use stands a lot when I was a kid and I still don't now, but they work really well for certain lines, like these girls, Wee Wild Things and Rose Petal Place. I like a stand that does its job while also not taking up a lot of room.

Considering the popularity of similar-sized dolls, I'm really surprised these didn't do better. I think they may have overshot a bit by making so much. There were the five larger dolls, the two smaller dolls and their ride-on animals, Celeste and her large ride-on animal, the three Snoozers, villainess Scowlene and her three Sleep Creeps, two large playsets, and one large plush. Perhaps if they'd stuck with the smaller dolls and gradually released the playsets and smaller figures, they would have done better.

Whimzee

It's very much a shame the line didn't continue because the 1988 Hasbro catalog shows what we missed out on. There were to be four more new 5.5" doll characters, including the gorgeous dark-skinned, blue-haired Moondust. The Star Finders would get two new dolls, one with darker purple hair and one with green, both of which are adorable. Then there would have been Sun Sparklers and Sun Finders, cute little dolls with wild poofy hair. The Moondreamers are one of the only lines I know of where the unproduced dolls so powerfully outshined the produced. I would have bought so many more of these if they'd actually released!

Still, what we did get is awfully cute and I'm glad to have my small collection.

PHOTO CREDITS: All mine.

RECOMMENDED SITE:
http://www.ghostofthedoll.co.uk/moondreamers.php

No comments:

Post a Comment