Friday, September 23, 2016

OVERVIEW: Penny's Pony Club

Penny's Pony Club was one of those little toylines I was able to get a lot of in childhood, because they were cheap. I have 5 out of the 6 horse and rider sets, plus another set of two ponies that came with other stable-type accessories.

They were produced in 1987 by Fun Stop/The Just Group, and their design was based on the art of Normal Thelwell.

Outside the US, I believe the line was bigger. I don't remember much besides the 6 pony and rider sets, a couple gift sets, and a stable playset, but I've seen ones on ebay from sellers in Europe that I never saw in childhood.

The toys are pretty simple. They're fat ponies with girl figures permanently molded in horse-riding positions.


Each one came with a jump accessory, even though those ponies with their big bellies and stubby legs do not look like they'd make it over anything!

The line had absolutely no diversity. All of the girls are white with 3 blondes and 3 brunettes. The only one who was any different was Michelle, who apparently was some kind of giant, because she just towers over everything and she's very snooty about it. I never got her because she just didn't fit in. Normally, I'm all for the different characters, but...yeah, young me just couldn't logic out how she was so dang tall.

Random ponies and accessories from a gift set...I think











There was diversity where it mattered for me though, and that was in the horses. I remember tossing the girls aside and just playing with the horses most of the time. Dancer was my favorite, because he had a little bit longer legs and looked more graceful.

This was a cute little line that was very affordable and I had a lot of fun playing with them.

PHOTO CREDITS: All mine.

1 comment:

  1. I still have this set. It was one of my favourites as a child as my dream was to have my own pony. I had to settle on trekking when my mum could afford it! Penny's Pony Club was a fabulous substitute. I remember making up characters for the ponies and their riders and playing for hours and hours with them. As the stable was also a carry case it took them with me everywhere to play! Fabulous memories.

    ReplyDelete