Monday, September 12, 2016

OVERVIEW: My Magic Genies

Serina
I don't remember how I discovered My Magic Genies or when exactly I got into them. I believe it was between 2005-2007, since I took these photos in 2007-2008.

MMG was a small line produced in 1995 by Kenner/Hasbro. I don't remember ever seeing them in stores or I think I would have bought one.

Each small doll came with a lamp house and accessories. Each one featured a magic eight ball-type accessory. Serina's was a lamp, Pia had a mirror, Lani a crystal ball, and Cara's was in her torso...which was kinda weird. It was supposed to be a necklace, but still weird.

Cara

The dolls were fairly easy to find, except Pia. She took me a few years to get, but I eventually ended up with complete sets for each one. I don't have them displayed like this anymore sadly, because I lack the space, but all four are on their magic carpet stands.

There were color variations in the accessories. I had two different Lanis and one had a blue candleabra and cushion and two golden goblets and the other was vice versa.

The dolls have brushable hair with a hair accessory and molded tops with fabric bottoms. Their shoes are molded and painted, not removable.                                                  

Lani
The line also contained three animal characters, which I don't have any photos saved of, but you can see them if you go to the recommend link section. Each animal had a small house like the genie bottles and like Cara, they were their own fortune-tellers. There was a blue dragon, purple lion and pink unicorn.

There was also a magic carpet vehicle playset produced, which came with a small, simple pink pegasus figure.

Pia, my favorite
I had the entire line, but sold the playset or donated it. Can't recall which. I still have the bottles, accessories and pets and their homes and accessories in one of my storage drawers. They're cute, but the dolls are my favorite part of the line.    
There was a website that had pictures of the unproduced items for the line, but it's no longer around. I did save the pictures though and they're also available on Ghost of the Doll. I'm running out of things to say so I won't show them all here.

Prototype yellow-haired doll










Prototype pink-haired doll
But I have to include the two dolls, because they're SO CUTE! I wish they'd been made. I love the yellow girl especially. The other unproduced items were two more pets, an elephant and a camel, and a palace playset.

My Magic Genies are a really cute line for lovers of small dolls and there aren't many of them, so putting together a collection is fairly easy. There are some really overpriced ones on ebay right now, but with patience, good deals should pop up.

PHOTO CREDITS: The first four are mine, the prototype photos are not. The credit link is broken now, but you can see it on the Ghost of the Doll page if you click the link below.

RECOMMENDED SITE:
http://www.ghostofthedoll.co.uk/mymagicgenies.php

4 comments:

  1. Are you willing to sell any of your collection? I am specifically looking for the unicorn and Cara.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I don't have any extra pets. I might have an extra Cara doll, but no complete sets.

      Delete
    2. Would you be able to show me what you have for Cara? Also do you know anyone selling the unicorn?

      Delete
    3. Unfortunately, I must have sold my extra doll.

      Your best bet is just keeping an eye on sites like ebay, etsy and Mercari. That's what I tell anyone after vintage toys. Eventually, something may turn up.

      Delete