Friday, September 30, 2016

OVERVIEW: Always Sisters

Brittany
Always Sisters was a line produced by Kenner in 1988 that I somehow never noticed. It's possible that I was too into Hot Looks (Mattel, 1987) or maybe they just weren't sold by me.

The line was fairly creative. There were twelve dolls in four groups of three sisters. The youngest sisters were 14" tall, which is pretty big, but then the middle sisters were 18", and the eldest sisters were a whopping 22" tall! Brittany and Blair, the two I own, are some of the tallest dolls in my collection and by far the tallest playline dolls. (The others are BJDs and porcelains.)

The bodies are very interesting, because the heads and hands are vinyl, but the rest is fabric, but it's layered over an articulated body so they're really easy to pose. I'm not sure if it's just the eldest sisters like this, because I don't have any of the other ages.

I got my first girl, Brittany, in 2010. She's the eldest redhead with Erin being the middle sister and Darci the youngest.

Blair, the brunette, is the eldest sibling, and her middle sister is Mallory and the youngest is Kaitlin.

Brittany (in a fashion pack) and Blair


In a sad lack of creativity, both the blonde dolls and the black dolls have the same outfits. Sigh. They were so creative with the clothes that it's a shame to see such cutbacks. In order from oldest to youngest, the blondes are Lauren, Meredith and Abby, and the black sisters are Vanessa, Gina and Kara. Yeah, it's a slew of 80s girl names for sure!

The sisters were all sold separately, but the blondes also had a 3-pack. Not sure if the others did or not.

There were eight unnamed outfit packs made for the eldest sisters. Some were a bit dull, but others were totally awesome, like this bright number Brittany is wearing in the photo to the right.

These girls are so big that I held myself back to just getting my faves, Brittany and Blair. I loved both their stock outfits, while the pink of the others is boring to me. The outfit on Brittany was one of two on my wishlist. I never did get the striped top one and I stopped looking, because I can't imagine changing Blair out of her stock, which I adore because she's rather Lila Fowler, and I love this on Brittany, as well as her stock.

The entire blonde family and the younger sisters are relatively easy to find and low-priced on ebay. The others may require some patience.

PHOTO CREDITS: All mine.

RECOMMENDED SITES:
http://www.ghostofthedoll.co.uk/alwayssisters.php

No comments:

Post a Comment