Friday, September 23, 2016

FRIDOLL FIVE #17

#17: Imitation and Flattery


1. What are your thoughts on "clones" and "knock-offs" of popular toys? (E.g. discount stores' imitation Bratz dolls, actual dolls that make molds using pre-existing dolls)

I call them fakies, because that's what the old pony collecting community called them and that was my first real experience with actively collecting them.

Personally, I love them. They can be a lot of fun and some of them are really great. Even if they're not, they're usually good for a giggle.


2. What do you think about e-bay auctions that use terms like "friend of" or "just like" as a euphemism for knock-offs? (Okay, technically speaking that's generally to get around legal issues related to knowingly selling knock-offs.)

I don't remember knowing much about this the first time I did these Fridoll Fives and I still don't now. This is just something I don't see.


3. Is it okay to customize a doll to look like a copy-righted character, or real-life person? Have you ever done so?

I have no custom skills, so I can't, but there's nothing wrong with it. That's the bread and butter of a lot of customizers.


4. Is it okay to customize a doll to look similar to a brand-name doll? Have you ever done so? (E.g., making your own big-headed doll, making your version of a collectible doll, re-rooting an old doll to look like a pristine vintage doll)

Again, I've not done it. I don't see anything wrong with it, unless you're trying to pass it off as something it isn't.


5. Is it okay to customize or commission an outfit or wig to look like a limited edition doll outfit?

Sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment