Thursday, September 8, 2016

FRIDOLL FIVE #14

Totally missed last week! Whoops. I'll do it and include this week's early.


#14: What's in a Name?

1. Those of you with ball-joint dolls... do you have a preferred term for this type of doll? e.g. Super Dollfie, BJD, resin ball-joint doll, asian ball-joint doll, 40 cm/60 cm doll, giant-size doll thing, etc

Those of you with 1/6 scale dolls: do you have a term you prefer or tend to use, such as "action doll", "poseable doll", "fashion doll", "dollies", "dollfies", "Barbies", etc?

I use BJD for what I consider BJDs. If it's not resin, but still has the proper joints and BJD style, I say "vinyl BJD."

1/6 scale it depends on the type of doll, but I generally just say "doll" or use the brand name.


2. Do you have profiles and personalities for your dolls? If so, do they include age, astrological sign, etc?

I used to do this a lot, but much less so now, mostly because I collect lines that are more character-based. I didn't do birthdays or zodiac or anything. Age sometimes, but not always.


3. Have you ever re-named a doll? (This includes changing its name from the default one, or changing a doll's name after you named it already.) If so, what were some reasons you had for changing the name?

Of course. Doll lines like Ellowyne Wilde have a bunch of Ellowynes that look very different. I have five and each is a different girl with a different name (none are Ellowyne). When you have lines that repeat characters over and over and are more generic-looking like Bratz, it's easy to make multiple characters of the same girl. Not all my Jades are Jade, etc. I don't tend to do this with character-based lines, because the dolls are too specific. I have one Draculaura that's not Draculaura and otherwise, everyone is their canon name. I think.


4. What term do you use when talking about or thinking of your dolls? Do you call them or think of them as:
* your dolls
* your daughter/son/children
* your kids
* visitors from another dimension
* or something else entirely? 

Dolls. I think it's creepy to act like they're your children.


5. For those of you who make doll photo stories: Do you ever appear in them (off-screen or on-screen)? If so, what do your dolls call you?
For those who don't make doll photo stories: What do you think of yourself as? Your doll's owner? Mom? Auntie/Uncle? Roommate?

Yep. I'm called Lori. That is my name. I'm kind of like a large caretaker.

No comments:

Post a Comment