Monday, September 12, 2016

OVERVIEW: My Little Angel

In 1993, Ertl produced a small line of toys called My Little Angel. The angel dolls were about 6" tall with removable, glittery liquid-filled wings. Most of the time, when you find them now, the liquid is all dried out and it's just a bunch of glitter. I found the wings very cumbersome and unattractive, so none of my dolls have theirs anymore. The dolls have glow-in-the-dark print dresses, headbands and a small charm.

There were six angel characters. Each one was the angel of something and you could see her theme clearly in her outfit.

Daphne and Joy
Daphne, the blonde in purple, was the angel of music, which is pretty obvious if you look at her headband. Strawberry blonde Joy in her pink dress with hearts is the angel of love. Joy is my second sleeper from the line. She's in pink and she's kinda blonde, not things I usually go for, but she's got a really cute face with her full lips (she's the only one with distinct lips) and upturned glance, so she's #4 out of 6 on my list of faves. Not a high rank, but she's not last, which is the sleeper hit part.

Angela and Cookie
Angela is the nursery angel. Could they really not have come up with a better idea than a giant bottle in the middle of her forehead? I mean, it was the early 90s, but still, come on. She has a sloppy hairstyle and a rather goofy expression, so she's my least fave of the six. Cookie is the cooking angel. ("Where do you think angel food cake comes from?") She's my main sleeper of the line. I figured I'd like her as little as Angela, because she has the same kinda sloppy hairdo and giant weird headband, but there's something about her that I love. I think the color scheme of gold, yellow and green does her a lot of favors and her big green eyes are adorable. She's my #3 fave.

Luminar and Mistie

Drowsy-looking Luminar is actually the starlighter, who keeps stars shining brightly. She's my fave. I love her dreamy expression and crimped hair. Mistie is the cloud chaser angel, who puffs clouds into their shapes. She's my second fave. She's not quite as dreamy as Luminar, but she's almost as cute.

The line also consisted of seven cherub dolls, which were basically drink-and-wet toddlers. Hot pink-haired Candie works with Cookie, while slightly lighter pink-haired Luv works with Joy. Lavender-haired Hope is Angela's helper, while blonde Faith works with both Mistie and Luminar. Poor Daphne gets no one! There were also three sets with one cherub and an animal: Clover the lamb, Lea the lion and Dallas the pegasus.

There were color variants, mostly of the headbands. My Angela has a pink headband, but there's one on ebay with blue, and my Mistie has blue but there's one on ebay with pink. They're fairly easy to find and affordable.

I got into the line in 2008 and bought Angela, Mistie, Joy and Daphne mint on card. It didn't take me too long to add Cookie and Luminar and then I was done collecting. Easy little line!

PHOTO CREDITS: All mine.

RECOMMENDED SITE:
http://www.ghostofthedoll.co.uk/mylittleangel.php 

No comments:

Post a Comment