Tuesday, February 8, 2022

NEWS: Mermaze Mermaidz


This is the one I've been waiting for. This is Riviera the rocker mermaid.  


Her tail is extremely unique. I don't know how well she'd actually swim with it, but it's not like the masses of hair on these are remotely realistic anyway. 


Predictably, I like all her bits and pieces. Love the one gloved hand. Probably will yank out the huge earrings once I see what they actually look like. 



She works the facemold well. 

Her hair is in a different style, but not over the top different like some of the others. 

I do wish they'd gone a little bolder and given her a nose pierce instead of a glitter strip. It kept catching the light in her little video thing on Instagram and I tricked myself into believing they were brave enough to do a piercing. Nope. They're not. They're also not brave enough to do darker makeup and lipstick on anything except LOL OMG. Sad. 

I am disappointed that she's purple. They always use some shade of purple for the "edgy" one as a weak substitution for black. I wanted white hair. I figured it was purple, but I was still hopeful. But no. Lavender just screams rock, doesn't it? Ugh. I also wish all the companies would get their eyebrow game on track. I hate brown eyebrows with unnaturally-colored hair. It used to not bother me, but we should be past this by now. 

Now let's talk promo vs. reality disappointment. I muted my way through the video review. (I cannot stand video reviews, but I have no other way to see these because MGAE is weak like that. Just put the dolls out to buy. At least this lady realizes the failings of video reviews and keeps putting up shots of still photos that actually show the details, unlike the blurry camera work.) The major disappointment is that her hair is like a full four inches (at least) longer than these promo pics. UGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH. I'm so sick of dolls with ridiculously long hair and it looked so good in these pictures! Now it's going to turn into a giant tangled mass! And you can see how scraggly and uneven it is in the video. I do like that the black braids are on booth sides of her head, which the promo pics don't show. I also like that her eye makeup seems darker in reality. Good. The fit of the jacket seems pretty bad though. And they loaded her down with jewelry that she doesn't have in the promos. I like the one giant earring she has because of the chain, but seriously, MGAE, STOP USING SAFETY PINS TO SIGNIFY ANY SORT OF EDGY CHARACTER. So overdone. I'm also sick of the AC/DC parodies. Get a new joke. How about a parody of a more modern band a rocker girl might actually listen to? I do love the style and colors of the shirt otherwise. And the belt is awesome. Love the one gloved hand. Love the Aja guitar. 

Overall, I like this doll, but she does use several overdone motifs for "edgy" characters. MGAE can be good with these characters when they want to be, but too often they fall back on these same tired tropes. She's pretty. I'll get her. And I'll likely give her a haircut. But I'm not impressed with her much.

PHOTO CREDITS: Official Mermaze Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment