Thursday, February 10, 2022

NEWS: Mermaze Mermaidz

So we finally have Jordie, who was the one shown in silhouette ages ago and people lightened up the pic to see her. And she looked just like this. Pretty sure these colors are muted. 

I'm not typically into the sporty one, but her hair is fab, she has FRECKLES, and I like her colors. 

I am not a fan of the weird tail detailing they put on some of these. She has laces molded into her fluke, which is confusing. Are we supposed to believe those laces are three-dimensional and she got grommets pierced into her tail just to lace part of it up? Or is it a raised pattern? Like she did scarification in the shape of lacing? Yes, I do consider these things. Designs aren't just dolls to me. I think how they'd work in real life. Mermaid tails are flesh and blood, not plastic, so put weird markings on them and I'm going to ponder how they'd work on a living creature. Shellnelle's is worse to me. Imagine having a piece of yourself that unzipped. Ew. I'm sure you're all like "You're overthinking. It's just a toy." Eh, that's how I think of these things. Can't stop me. 


Jordie definitely works the facemold best so far. I'm still bitterly disappointed these all have one mold and I'm shocked at how people are just accepting it and still babbling praise at this line, as if it's oh so innovative. Y'all brainwashed. 

Love the makeup. Adore the freckles. I always love freckles on dolls that aren't pale. 

She is one I will likely get. I'll probably yank the jacket, earrings and wristbands off, and definitely ditch the ball holder thingy, but she's too pretty not to have. (Note the different colors of the wristbands between both pics.)

I don't see a video review for Jordie. I can tell from her little video clip on Instagram that she's a bit darker than this photo. The model is adorable! Ah, there's someone with real photos on Instagram. Looks like the stripes on her tail are bright yellow. They went with pink for the wristbands...and they might be plastic? That's lame. I can't tell if she still has the freckles or not. I can definitely see that the poor doll has eye wonk and she's got the blank stare like the others ones did. Bah. I really had hopes for her to be better. Oh, there's a short video. And I can't see a thing. Sigh. I am happy they finally sent one of these to a kid. I hate video reviews and the same people getting stuff over and over, but the very least these companies can do is send toys to the target market. Seriously. Adults are not the target market, nor are we really even a viable percentage of the buyers. 

I guess I'll have to judge this one in person. I was hoping they'd be better with QC, but you're definitely going to have to check the eyes on these girls carefully. I really hope they kept her freckles. I do like her and seeing the real doll did not disappoint me nearly as much as Riviera did. 

3 comments:

  1. I couldn't help but laugh when you were talking about the lacing on her tail - things like that bother me, too. It's been bugging the heck outta me that Shellnelle has a zipper on her tail fin. A zipper!!

    I dunno if I'm going to get any of this line. I was really excited for it, initially, but every new image kills it more and more. I'm extremely put off by the singular face mold, and the tail being one solid chunk of plastic. Ugh. That's not me being an articulation snob, either! How are little kids supposed to have fun playing with a doll that can't be posed? They can't even sit down!

    Plus, I would bet good money that the face mold is one that they recycled from the MC2 line.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't consider it articulation snobbery to be disappointed this tail isn't jointed. Articulation snobbery is more like bitching that budget dolls exist because they're not articulated when they're meant to be cheaper. Or sticking up your nose at a really well-designed, fair-priced, quality line because the wrists don't bend. These dolls' quality, which includes the articulation, doesn't remotely match their high price point and that's worth criticism. Monster High made lovely mermaid dolls with multiple joints. I was expecting tails more like that. Or if they didn't want visible joints, they could have used the same method the Ariel & Her Sisters line used. The torso basically ended in a ball joint attached to the tail, so there was articulation at the waist.

      I think the mold is from an unproduced line, though it's definitely similar to MC2. I wonder if they couldn't reuse them due to likeness legal issues.

      Delete
  2. I assumed it was tail clothing tbh but they're likely never going to explain it haha.
    The face mould is definitely reused from an unproduced line like you've said, you can see pics of it on Marthebratz's IG a while back.

    ReplyDelete