Friday, October 8, 2021

REVIEW: American Girl World By Us Maritza & Evette


No boxed pics, but I got Evette today and all of Maritza's clothes came in, so I can finally post my look at these two lovelies. 

World By Us is American Girl's new, more inclusive line. The characters are Makena (black), Evette (biracial: black and white), and Maritza (Bolivian and Mexican). I'm really hoping they keep the line going and add some other options, like South Asian, East Asian, Native American, and especially Middle Eastern.

The characters are supposed to be a bit older. Most AGs are 9/10 for the historical dolls and a bit older for Girl of the Year/Contemporary. These three are 13. 

So let's look at Maritza.



She's the athlete of the group but has practically floor-length hair. It's a bit much. 

I'm not a fan of athletic wear, but this is actually really nice. Doesn't mean I'm going to keep her in it though!





Ridiculoussssssss.

It wouldn't be as bad except the last four inches or so are pretty dry. It's not horrible but it's also tempting me to chop them off. But I won't. 






Too much hair aside, she is stunning. 




I think she's one of the prettiest they've ever done. 





So of course I took a bunch of pictures at slightly varying angles. 





Lovely!


Okay, enough of this outfit. 



This is what I'm leaving her in. 

When I first saw her leaked pic, the first thing I thought of was the cover of an old Sweet Valley High book: my favorite, Lila's Story. Lila Fowler has her dark hair flowing over her left shoulder on the cover illustration and Maritza's hair, while much longer, reminded me of that. 

So I decided to style Maritza with some Lila inspiration. I had the AG "leather" pants in my clothes box, so they were an easy match to Makena's black leather jacket. I found a lavender mock turtleneck tee on ebay, as long as the faux suede boots. 

 



I adore Makena's jacket. It even has one lavender rhinestone on it (the others are pink) and if you know Sweet Valley, you know what any shade of purple means. 


The jacket is cropped though, so I had to tuck her tee into the tight pants. A bit lumpy, but not too awful. 




The tee itself photographs really light. It's way more lavender in real life. 




And the purse is also from Makena's accessories. It reminds me of an old vintage purple purse I had for my Barbies. I'm sure it was a knockoff of some kind, not a real Barbie piece, but I loved it. I still have it somewhere. 

So yeah, that's my Maritza inspired by Lila Fowler with some leather edginess. 




And today was Evette Day! I think she has the strongest meet outfit, though I wish they'd stop using pink panties for everyone. A nice peach or blue. Even yellow would have been nicer for her.

Love this dress and the belt, but especially those boots!




Here are the sunglasses from her accessories. 




And here she is with the jacket and purse. 



Agh, she is SO CUTE. Maritza is the prettiest, but Evette is the cutest. It was adorable owner photos that made me cave and order her. 




This purse. LOVE.



Closer on the purse and those boots!




I love the freckles and the gray eyes. I'm always a sicker for gray eyes. 




Her hair is spectacular! I love it. 


I love the jacket, too. She's just excellent from head to toe. The best of the trio in both meet and accessories, I think. 



Together! 

I completely rearranged my big doll display shelves to make enough space for these two and it was so worth it. 

I wish I liked Makena more, but she looks so young compared to these two. I'd probably have to see her mold in person to really judge, but in all the pics I've seen, she looks even younger than older AG molds, so it just doesn't work for a teen. 


 

I've been so lucky to have gotten so many new AGs this year! Thank you so much, payment plans! I really hope this line does well so it can expand soon.


PHOTO CREDITS: Mine.

2 comments:

  1. The painted eyebrows definitely is what makes them look slightly older, especially Maritza. She almost looks like she is wearing eyeliner. She looks sophisticated in her face wich clashes with her sporty outfit.
    It always irks me when companies market latin american nationalities as "racial diversity" tough, being Mexican or Bolivian is not an ethnicity, Maritza could be very well a white girl, we have those here too. Most likely she is biracial, like a big part of Latin americans, descendants of Native Americans (We also have those here) and white Spaniards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *Painted eyelashes sorry, brain farts are an issue

      Delete