Sunday, January 17, 2021

REVIEW: Rainbow High Series 2 Krystal Bailey

I apologize for this review taking forever. I had a couple setbacks with her hair taking more than one day to fully dry and then one shoe breaking, but honestly, I just got caught up in other stuff and I was lazy. 

But better late than never, yeah? Let's do this. 

I've been excited for the indigo doll since this line started. And annoyed that there wasn't one in Series 1. And then annoyed that she was replaced by pink in the show. Pink, which isn't even a color of the ROY G BIV rainbow. Ugh. 

I was pleased to see the initial doll going through changes to help increase the line's diversity. (Because let's face it, diversity and quality control are Rainbow High's biggest issues.) I'm not 100% on her. I don't like her name, though it's better than her original cringe-worthy name of Jett Dawson. Ugh. I miss the names that fit the colors more. I'm not a huge fan of her outfits and there isn't one piece on her that's what I think of as indigo. She's more of a dark purple doll than an indigo doll. Indigo is a color between blue and violet, not leaning more in one direction than the other. But indigo is also one of my favorite rainbow colors alongside orange. If hard-pressed, I'd probably pick orange, but for rainbow-themed toy lines, I've got to go indigo, because it's constantly being left out. 

Anyway. 



Three different colors. 

MGAE really has no idea how to depict indigo. The comb actually might be the closest. The stand isn't bad either. 

The hangers are purple though. 




Main outfit: jacket, bandeau top, pearly iridescent tee, skirt and tasseled heels.  





Second outfit: jacket, tank top, pants, black fishnets, clock-themed heels. 



So yeah, this happened. 

If your doll line FOR CHILDREN has shoes so hard to get on that an adult snaps the heel off one, maybe you need to reconsider your designing. 

This delayed my review for a while, because I was so annoyed that I just didn't want to do it. I finally glued it back on, let it sit a couple days, then cut the ankle strap so I no longer have to struggle with it. 



But I finally made myself finish this tonight. 

I love how her hair came out! Her hair is actually the most indigo thing about her, because it's made up of a blend of purple and blue strands. 

So this is the bandeau and cover top with the skirt and tassel heels. 

Not a fan of the cover top. It's not the best cut. 

I want to love the skirt so much. Love the design and the material, but once again, they made something that sits too high. 



Same outfit with the main jacket. 

I love this jacket in theory. In dressing actuality, her thumbs could not possibly have gotten caught in more things when I put it on. And you are not supposed to remove RH hands. MGAE has said so and I've seen a lot of people with broken ones. So really try not to do it. It's a risk. 



I do love the ribbon lacing on the sleeves and how they're not just a solid sleeve. It's a great jacket. Just a pain to put on. 

Her hair looks so good. I love it. 

I do hate those white highlight lines on her lips though. They're so much more evident with her because of her darker pink lipstick. 



With the jeans instead. 

These aren't awful to put on and they close nicely in the back, but her feet will poke through those knee holes. Just expect it, fix it and move on.




Down to just the bandeau.

I love the material on this piece.




Switching to the clock heels. 

I did not cut the backs of these. They go on fairly easily. 

I do like them. I just think the tassel pair looks better with the pants.



I've seen at least two other people have this issue. One strap on her second outfit tank top was hanging on by a single thread. Then when I put it on her, the other strap started to go. 

I feel like Krystal and Kia have the most QC issues of any RH dolls. Like falling apart clothes are a pretty big issue. That's why I don't plan on paying the inflated price for Kia. 




Solution? Cut the straps off entirely. She doesn't need them to keep the top on. But it is one of those that's a bit big. 

Then you stick it with the skirt that rides up too high and it's just a mess. 



So we've decided on the pants for her final look. 

Let's try them with the fishnets. 

And they popped a hole already. 

SIGH.




And the waistband sticks out the top of the pants. 

They honestly just plain look stupid. Who would wear fishnets under tight pants? Both those elements are uncomfortable enough on their own. Who would layer them? Ugh. 





They did find a home though. Now poor Amaya looks a little less naked. 






So bandeau top, second jacket and pants. Yep. I like it. 

This jacket may be the closest clothing piece to indigo. However, the studs like to fall off. Because of course they do. 




Same outfit, slightly darker skintone in this version. 

I love that they made her darker-skinned. She's not Felicia, but maybe someday they'll achieve that again. 




Feliciaaaaaaaaaaaaa.





Oh, hey, forgot about this thing. 

I don't hate it, but I feel like it needs an outfit involving the skirt. 

I had a photo request for Sunny and Krystal arm in arm, so here they are. LOVE them both. 

Overall, Krystal is a great doll with a crapload of QC problems. I would not let that stop you from getting her though. Her gorgeousness far outweighs her issues. 

I usually stick with the characters, but Krystal is the first one I'm changing. Mine is going to be Indian and her name is Fera (like Farrah), which comes from Indigofera, one of the plants that gave us the original indigo dye. 

So again, apologies that this was such a long time coming. I'm going to have a FailFix review tomorrow! And likely more shortly after that. I just got my first one and I'm kinda obsessed now...

PHOTO CREDITS: Mine.

1 comment:

  1. I just opened my Krystal today. The heel was falling off of her right
    tasseled shoe. I had to glue mine on as well. Her shoe was like this before I tried taking it off.

    ReplyDelete