Tuesday, January 5, 2021

OVERVIEW: Paola Reina's Gorjuss

As I've ordered my first two new Gorjuss dolls in years, I decided to do a quick overview of the line. 

I was lucky enough that Paola Reina archives their dolls, so it was easy to put them in chronological order by item number. Although I had to fill in two missing blanks, even that was easy, because I knew which two dolls they were. 

So Gorjuss are dolls based on Santoro's Gorjuss merch line. I love all of it, but I only have the dolls so far. Maybe someday I'll get a purse and a keychain or something. 

I'll be using stock images throughout this post, though I'll also add my own pics for the dolls that I have so you can see what they really look like. 

This first doll is Ruby. All of the earliest Gorjuss have hair that's either black or very dark brown. Ruby's one of the brown-haired ones. 



Here's mine. 

They pretty much look exactly like their stock images. 

I can't remember if I fixed her hair after this old review photo shoot. They're all displayed in my closet (I have a ton of shelving in there that came with the apartment) so she's not right in front of me. 



Next is Ladybird. 

She was one of my top favorites, though ended up being not nearly one of the first purchased. 





She does hold the title of favorite though. She's not an obvious choice to be my fave, yet she is. 

She's very quietly elegant. I like that.

She's another brown-haired girl. 




Here's White Rabbit. 



I had no plans of getting this girl, but then a US seller had her and I just could not resist. 

She has black hair and she's got a lot of hair. The most of any of mine. 



This is The Pretend Friend.

I still regret years later not getting this doll. She was nearer the bottom of my want list, but she kept growing on me. The other ones would go on sale or something though and I didn't buy her. Then all of a sudden, she was gone. She was the first one to disappear from availability. 

I don't own her, but I'm pretty sure she has black hair. 



Then we've got Toadstool. 

She caught my eye because she's a little differently-dressed. Like White Rabbit, but a better outfit. 




Definitely as cute in person. 


She's got dark brown hair. 


She also remains one of only I believe three that have boots. 



And this is Little Violet. I knew I wanted her to be my first one. She's so well-dressed and the color scheme is lovely. 

Violet is the last of the original six. I'm pretty sure all of these came out together. 



Here's my Violet. Ladybird is the only one I like better and that's by a small margin. 

Violet has black hair. 



I was prepared to buy Little Violet and Toadstool (I think) for my first dolls, but then two new ones came out and I had to have Bluebird's Proposal. 

Short hair. How could I not want her? Only one other much newer doll also has this haircut. 



Here she is. Please forgive the messy hair. 

I still love her, but she doesn't wow me like Ladybird and Violet. I think it's the lack of detail in the outfit really. 

She has black hair.



Released alongside Bluebird was On Top of the World. 

I'm a sucker for green, so I was drawn to her and the lack of bangs was unique. They've only done three without bangs. 



And here she is. I ended up not loving the no bangs in person. I like her, but she's not a favorite. She has dark brown hair.

So I have 7 of the first 8 dolls and then didn't buy any more until now. 



This is I Love You Little Rabbit.

Cute, but you can see why I passed, I think. 

No bangs. Light-colored outfit. She just looks a bit plain. She has dark brown hair, so she looks like On Top of the World, too.



Then we've got I Gave You My Heart. 

While I do like orange, I think when this one came out, I still held out hope of finding Pretend Friend. This one looks just like her with the same black hair in a slightly less interesting outfit. Although I do prefer orange to yellow. 

I'd consider getting her if I found a good deal. 




Dreaming. 

Another easy pass. Her hair is black though and I think it looks a little better in the no bangs style. 



Now we're getting more outside the box. This is Dear Alice. She's got the longest hair they've done yet. 

I love her, but when she came out, she was so overpriced. I couldn't justify spending over $100 on a doll in a very simply-cut dress with simple sandals underneath and ugly headphones I will take off. 

We'll get a good look at her soonish though. She's one of the two I ordered.



This one is The Dreamer. 

I love the hair. Love it. And the hat. I even like the stockings and shoes. It's the dress that never sold me on her. That and she came out with Alice, who's far more appealing to me. 

That said, I'd definitely buy her for the right price. 



Rosebud. 

I actually really like the flowers in the hair. It's the rest I don't like. 



This is Little Foxes. 

AKA: Pretend Friend V.2 because I am kicking myself that I missed out on her. I've had three of these on my Amazon wishlist for ages and I kept watching the prices fluctuate and buying bears and other stuff instead. Now she's apparently sold out. I can't find her anywhere. Even the Latvian seller on ebay that I was literally going to buy from on payday suddenly doesn't have her anymore. ARGH. 

I love everything about this doll and I should have bought her when she came out. I'm an idiot. 



I admit I was also very distracted by The Frock here. I love this girl. She's the other one I bought along with Alice. So at least I'll have them.

Love everything about her. The color combo. The design. I don't care that she has the same hair a lot of them do. It's just how Gorjuss is. Still adore her. 



Red Riding Hood. 

Nothing special here for me except THOSE BOOTS. 

Shoes? 

Nah, I'm saying boots. 




I am oddly drawn to Little Fishes here. I think it's the color combo plus the Pretend Friend hairstyle. 

I don't think I'd ever buy her, but she is cute. 



Bee-Loved. 

I'm honestly considering this one because she's Little Foxes in a different outfit. Wait, maybe the hair is a little darker? The lighter brunette ones look similar to me, I guess. 

I'm not feeling this bee outfit though. I mean, it's cute, but it's a bee-it much. 

Sorry. 



Every Summer Has a Story. 

Great hairrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. HATE the outfit SO MUCH.

Except the purse. Purse is good. 

I think my issue with these two is that they feel less like the typical Gorjuss aesthetic and more...cutesy costumey. 



Little Heart. 

TEMPTING. I love the short hair and that color is intriguing. I'm just worried I'll end up not loving her much in person just like Bluebird because I don't like the outfit much. I like Bluebird's way more than this. 



Tall-Tails. 

I'm likely getting this one. I don't like the apron, but I love everything else so it evens out. 




They also did two outfit packs and I don't think they sold well. I'm sticking them here at the end, even though they came out probably midway through this list. 

This is Beach Belle. Cute but simple. 



And this is Goodnight Gorjuss.

Again, cute but simple. 

I think they should have done one or two flashier things instead of such basic outfits/themes. 

So that's what exists for Gorjuss fashion dolls so far. I'll make a Part 2 as more come out probably. There are also multiple kinds of plush dolls, but I'm not even going to try compiling those.  

6 comments:

  1. Each time you post about these, I always want one. The fact that Tall Tails has kitty shoes might finally be enough to push me over to the dark side this time. They're so cute!

    I hope Foxes shows up again at a time when you can snag her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, I just found out about Gorjuss doll and would like to know where can I find the doll archive you mentioned in this article? I tried santoro-london.com but there was no doll archive... I did find a few of the rag dolls on the doll listing.
    I would also like to know whether the doll is actually made of fabric of plastic/rubber/solid material?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here's the archive:
      https://www.paolareina.com/types/santoros-gorjusstm-en/?lang=en

      The dolls in this post are vinyl with rooted hair and then fabric outfits. The rag dolls are all fabric. The ones I have, at least. There are some older ones that are fancier and may be different.

      Delete
  3. I love these so much. I found them from your first review a few years back, and I'll always regret not buying white rabbit and ladybird. These dolls and DoubleDutchDolls are two brands I'll always regret not jumping on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Ladybird is still on Amazon UK. I might sell my White Rabbit if you'd like her. I don't appreciate the poor thing enough. Just let me know. :)

      Delete