Wednesday, October 12, 2016

OVERVIEW: Galaxie Girl

Galaxie Girl was one of the fabulous knockoff lines spawned by She-Ra: Princess of Power. They were produced by Woolworth for sale there. There is a surprisingly large number of She-Ra and He-Man knockoff lines for girls. I only remember She-Ra and Golden Girl in stores myself, but I'll include a link at the end and you can see just how many knockoffs there were.

Anyway, Galaxie Girl was one of the more She-Ra-like lines. (Some were more in tune with He-Man than She-Ra and some were knockoffs of Golden Girl, which is more like He-Man.) The figures have articulation at the neck, shoulders, waist and hips. They come with a plastic cape that's permanently on unless you want to pop the doll's head off, a headdress, a weapon and a shield.


There were eight dolls made for the line. No names are listed on the backcards and no information given, but some was provided on He-Man.org. Not sure how accurate it is, but it's the only thing we have to go on, so I've been thinking of the dolls with these names.

There are four heroic girls and four villain girls. They're all from the planet of Stellara, which has several kingdoms (Liberta, Harta, Junga) and two moons (Light Moon and Dark Moon).

Justara with the orange-blonde hair in gold and red is the main girl. Or at least, I consider her so, because it's her on the front of all the packaging. Justara is the Heroic Ruler of Light Moon.

Her allies are Princess Arta of Harta (pink hair, gold outfit) and Empress Galaxa of Liberta (dark skin, yellow hair, green/yellow outfit).

The fourth hero is Sorceress Nocturna, the "Heroic Exile of Dark Moon." Her kingdom was taken over by Domina, one of the villains, and Nocturna is in Liberta, working with Galaxa. Nocturna is an unusual choice for a heroic figure, as she's the chalk white one with purple hair.

The four villains are Atra from Harta (Arta's name rearranged and Atra even has pink hair like her, but she's wearing pink and silver, not Arta's gold), Jaguara from Junga (the blonde in leopard print), Domina from the Dark Moon (the purple girl), and Azura, the Evil Space Pirate of the Belt of Fury (blue hair).

Jaguara, Azura, Atra, Justara (times two), Galaxa and Nocturna
Galaxie Girl figures are somewhat hard to come by and even harder to find in decent shape. They were incredibly cheap to begin with, so they're not made from strong materials. I've had the plastic break on Jaguara's shield and mace, because she was the only one I had for years and the only one that had to endure the move down here. Her mace did not survive. Her shield broke even before the move, but I glued it. The biggest problem with these though is their fragile heads. I never had a problem with Jaguara, so I didn't know this was a thing. But I bought Justara after I moved and she was advertised as fine in the auction, but came to me with her head broken off. The seller put up a fight, but I eventually got a refund, since the doll likely would have been fine if she'd been shipped in a box and not a padded envelope. I superglued her head on and she's fine now. I got lucky after that and was able to win Azura, Atra, Justara and Nocturna mint on card. They're all in great shape. But then I won Galaxa and she came to me mint on card and well-packaged. I opened her box and her head fell off. So yeah, these are just shoddily-made. If you buy them, expect to be gluing things back on.

They are not cheap either. Carded ones can run in the fifty dollar range. An Atra sold for that in August, while a loose, incomplete Galaxa went for $27. I still need Arta and Domina to complete my set.

Galaxie Girl is a fun line, but expect some frustration if you decide to collect. As I've said, they're cheaply-made, but unless you get really lucky, you're not going to be paying cheap prices for them. They've got neat designs though and they fit in with my Golden Girl figures well.

PHOTO CREDITS: All mine.

RECOMMENDED LINKS:

This is where I got all my info:
http://www.darah.com/collection/galaxiegirl/

And this is her main page where you can peruse all the She-Ra-type knockoffs and other lines:
http://www.darah.com/orig/

No comments:

Post a Comment