Friday, August 26, 2016

FRIDOLL FIVE #13

Ah, #13. We're getting nearer and nearer to the end of these. I think there are 19.

#13: Dolls and Seasons

1. First of all: What are the seasons like where you live? (hot, dry, rainy, humid, cold, freezing, etc)

I live in the Panhandle of Florida, so it's pretty temperate all year round. No snow, thank the gods. I lived in Buffalo for many years, so I know plenty about winter.


2. Many toy companies and doll-parts companies have darker skin as well as lighter skintones. Do you consider these dolls to be tanned, or just having a darker complexion, or something else?

It depends on the doll. Obviously, certain characters are not just tanned white people. I think a lot of dolls are open to interpretation. There are many that have a very clear race or ethnicity, but others can fit various ones and if there's no character development that provides a backstory, the doll is open to interpretation.


3. For people who buy dolls: Do you have any seasonal dolls? (e.g. Beach-themed dolls, winter sports-themed dolls) For people who customize their own dolls: Have you ever made a doll themed to a certain holiday or season?

Of course. Being from a very snowy place, I don't care for winter dolls, but of course I have several. I think Frosta from She-Ra would have been my first icy girl and EAH's Crystal Winter is my most recent. These aren't something I seek out though, so I really don't have many. Beach ones I'm not that interested in either, but there are some great swimsuit dolls out there.


4. Have you ever made season-themed photos or photostories for your dolls? (e.g., a beach story in the summer, winter holidays story in the winter)

I'm sure I did at some point. I know I took beach doll photos on vacation a few times.


5. For those of you who sew for your dolls: Do you sew/knit outfits so that they'll be ready for [insert name of season or holiday]? Or do you wait until the season inspires you? For those who buy outfits for your dolls: Do you have any feelings (positive or negative) towards winter-themed dolls and clothes showing up in August, or summer-themed dolls/clothes showing up in winter?

I don't care which dolls show up when. Different seasons occur at different times of the year around the world. 

No comments:

Post a Comment